Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Can we take a deduction for unreimbursed business expenses related to working from home during the pandemic? Would there be any sort of recapture tax after we return to work?

I think Trump took that away in his tax package a few years ago, or maybe the temporary WFH wouldn't count anyway?

1poorguy
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Can we take a deduction for unreimbursed business expenses related to working from home during the pandemic?

No, itemized miscellaneous deductions were eliminated as part of the TCJA. Unreimbursed business expenses, subject to a 2% floor, were one of the miscellaneous deductions.

AJ
Thanks. That is what I thought, but I couldn't find anything that stated it as succinctly as you just did.

1poorguy
Can we take a deduction for unreimbursed business expenses related to working from home during the pandemic?

Hey 1poorguy. You may want to give this a second thought. I may be wrong and usually am but I seem to remember reading somewhere along the line that if you claim part of your home as a work area on your tax return it may affect the value of your home when you plan to sell.

Regards,

ImAGolfer (retired '03)