Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all you financiers:

Curious question on behalf of gf: She is a community college student
having had Work Study income in 2009, which, for her own EIC benefit, we're hoping to declare it, especially since she has little other income.

As of writing on Feb. 3, she has not received a W-2, but has received a 1098-T. As best as we can tell, the Box 5 line, Scholarships and Grants, does include the work study portion. Is it even possible to declare that as earned income insofar as EIC and Pay to work credit too.

Or if there's any other credits to which she may be entitled?

The PELL and TAP (NYS grant, fyi) covered her qualifed tuition expenses, unless there is some refundable qualified expenses she may claim of which we're unaware?

We were really hoping to show her how to file her own taxes, pretty much for the firt time.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.