Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Working backwards:

How can we be sure that the samples are not contaminated? Such as an animal urinating on a future sample?And why are the dates different for the same samples given multiple tests in the same or different labs?

Actually, we are pretty sure that the samples are contaminated which is why we take as elaborate measures as we do in carbondating. Measures such as getting samples from the inside of the bone where plants and urine and etc. does not penatrate.
Different dates are encountered for different reasons. sometimes, human error by a lab technition will contaminate a sample, sometimes, older equipment versus newer equipment will give you different levels of accuracy, sometimes ... ewll stuff happens. But this is accounted for by taking somany tests of one sample. The inevitable errors are found and isolated from the general or mainstream data sets. Also, remember that at the end of the day, C14 dating does not say that Lucy for instance is 235,916yrs, 3mnths, 2weeks,... Carbon dating says Lucy is about 200-250 thousand years old. It is an approxomate figure and/or a range.

I understand c-14 is absorbed by anything which requires air.And is accumulated in the "body" of whatever absorbes it.Also I am lead to believe that only about 14 pounds of it exists on this planit...Low
numbers.Then when the subject dies (stops absorbing)
resediual c-14 decays on a known 1/2 life.

Except for that 14 pounds thing that description is absolutly correct. I don't know where tat 14 pounds came from, but I'd bet dimes to donuts that we have 14 pounds in our upstairs chemistry lab.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.