Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am in my junior year working on a BS in Computer Science. My parents ran a small business, and I've always been very attracted to that type of work environment. I've checked out some of the job fairs and recruiting events, but these events usually only attract large and medium-sized companies. What is a good way to locate startups and small businesses in the tech industry?
Print the post Back To Top
Greetings,

What is a good way to locate startups and small businesses in the tech industry?

There may be various IT Recruiting companies that deal with start-ups and small businesses to some extent. Depending on your area there may be a few such firms. If you use on-line job sites like Monster.com, Dice.com, and Careerbuilder.com they may give you some ideas of the recruiters to know to then get into a tech company. In the Seattle area there is Harvey Nash, Excell, The Watson Group, and Volt among others that did this kind of thing.

At least this is how I got a couple of my positions. Another option would be to look at the school's Career Services area, if they have one, that may list some start ups looking for alums from where you are going now. That is how I got my first position after graduating with a Comp Sci degree.

Regards,
JB
i've had good luck with craigslist for smaller, local companies. they typically don't have the budgets or time to deal with the large number of applicants that come through the big job sites(monster, hotjobs, careerbuilder) or large fairs.
Talk to lawyers, CPA's, bankers and news reporters in your area. It can be as simple as reading the biz section of your local papers. Then call and talk to people related to the companies you read about. It's all about meeting people.

Best,
Nick Corcodilos
Ask The Headhunter

Author of the free Ask The Headhunter Newsletter:
http://www.asktheheadhunter.com/subscribetmf.htm