Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Working in technology and having fallen into a few profitable industries over the course of my career, I am not too worried about finding another lucrative job in CA... But I've been thinking more and more about not doing that...

I was in engineering, burned out, took a break. Could've gone back after 4 to 6 months, but after a year, then 2, it was really too late. I forgot a lot of what I knew because I wasn't using it every day, and of course I wasn't keeping up with the latest codes and software. Now it's been over 5 years, and "took a break" means "retired." Luckily, financially I could do that and just putter around the house and read library books.

I don’t think a year (or whatever) of unemployment, considering a cross-country move and an aging parent to tend to, would be too much of a black mark on my resume.

I think a year would be too long. If you want to keep open the option of staying in your field, then after 4 months max get something very part-time, at least one day per week, if possible. That would leave you time to work in a nursery or bike shop, while keeping your existing hard-won skills up and providing a better hourly income than what you'd get otherwise.

Congrats on your marriage, and good luck with your move to "the Best Coast" (as my California DD calls it), with property management, and with elder care.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.