Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
All the top Russians as well as some other Olympic medalists, including all the gold medalists, no-showed in Calgary. Stephane Lambiel won it again, the first time a Swiss man won twice, with Evan Lysacek getting the bronze for the US. Denkova and Staviyski from Bulgaria won the dance, but I thought Belbin and Agosto of the US, who got bronze, got screwed out of the gold. Pang and Tong of China won the pairs, and in the biggest surprise in years at Worlds, (drum roll, brass band) KIMMIE MEISSNER of the good old USA won the ladies' gold. Sasha Cohen showed up and won bronze, but choked all week. Kimmie kicked her butt bigtime, and beat 2nd place Fumie Suguri by over 8 1/2 points, a humongous whipping in a sport where 1 or 2 point wins are pretty much the norm. If Sasha is gonna keep skating, she better grow a heart, because if she doesn't show more heart than she did this week, Kimmie will keep whooping her all over the planet.
Print the post Back To Top
Ugh. I cannot stand Kimmie Meissner's skating. She looks like a little robot out there skating around. Her personality does not come through at all, and I don't think her technique is that great.

I much prefer to watch Emily Hughes skate - at least she looks like she is enjoying herself, though her technique isn't all that either.

I don't think Belbin and Agosto got "screwed out of the gold" at all. What gives you that impression? I'm a Belbin/Agosto fan, but I think they lack the polish that some of the other teams have. I think they will gain that with more time and experience though.

Nobody else there was any better than Belbin & Agosto. The only better couple in the world didn't show up, and nobody who did skated better than they did. They weren't perfect by any means, but they were better than everybody there.

I think Kimmie's personality DID come out. She was a young girl having fun, and that's what she skated like. Give her a couple years to sharpen up the artistic stuff, and she'll be well nigh unbeatable.
I'm not sure that you can rank skaters like that - "best in the world". I think particularly with the new scoring system, well, maybe not "anyone can beat anyone" but clearly one of 6-8 people can beat any other one of those 6-8 people on any given day.

But I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this!

Honestly Worlds was a bit of a letdown for me, but it always is after an Olympics...