No. of Recommendations: 1
Worst case scenerio:

By law, a plan must allow distributions to a terminated employee no later than the later of (i) attainment of normal retirement age (or age 65, if earlier), or (ii) the 10th anniversary of commencement of participation (IRC Section 401(a)(14)--until then, no distributions are required (by law), even if termination of employment has occurred. (Of course, you need to check the plan document to determine if the plan requires such a wait for distributions or whether it permits distributions earlier.)

But, once distributions are permitted under the terms of the plan, then rollovers directly into another qualified plan or IRA must be allowed (at the request of the employee). (IRC Section 401(a)(31)(A).)

If you meet this maximum holding period or the plan allows an earlier rollover, I'd roll over the account balance post-haste. If you don't, you can expect more frustrations, bureaucratic fumbling and indifference.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.