Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Would I still have to pay US Income Tax while I am living overseas, if I have to pay local taxes? Following that, would I still have to pay state tax to Maryland?

Yes and yes.

You'll still be paying federal income tax, though you will get a tax credit for taxes paid to Germany. (There is something called foreign earned income exclusion, but I think you have to live abroad for the entire tax year to qualify for that...)

Maryland will definitely expect you to pay taxes on your income, especially since you clearly intend to return - you're keeping your house. (Been there, done that - I live in MD and spent some time overseas. MD is very aggressive at chasing down people in your position...).

As an aside, going overseas is a wonderful opportunity, for lots of reasons. You won't regret it for a minute, and you'll have a great time.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.