Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Would it enhance your confidence in the claim I make here any if I used quotation marks and gave a page reference, sydsydsd?

"The historical returns we considered in the last chapter are invaluable, but these data can at times be misleading. The prudent investor requires a more accurate estimate of future returns for stocks and bonds than simply looking at the past" (Page 43, "The Three Pillars of Investing"). I purchased my copy through Amazon.com, and it arrived at the doorstep in 24 hours.

Now this is particularly interesting. Bernstein is saying that he looks at things that have not occurred in the past to make his future estimates of safety. I think that therein lies the difference between the two studies, one only looks at past data, while the other uses some other data in addition. Problem solved.

Now, what information does Bernstein use for his more accurate estimate that hasn't occurred in the past ? And how does he know that this information is a velid representation of what may occur if it hasn't ever occurred in the past ?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.