Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Would you consider this an Investment or Indulgence?

Neither, although a bit on the indulgence side since you get bennies of good seats for games. I see this really as managing your charitable giving to maximize the tax benefits and maximize the benefit to the university.

Now, how where does this donation go in the university? Just into the general fund? Assuming that's the case, have you looked into endowing a scholarship instead through the alumni assn? You could then put some tweaks on the how the money's used--it could go to a student in your academic field/major/dept/etc.

I received a few of these type scholarships when I was in school. They weren't grand amounts, typically $500 or so per academic year, but every dollar helps when you're eating ramen noodles. The university gave me the name & address of the donator--I sent them thank you notes telling them what I was studying, appreciated their help getting me through school, etc. One lady, widow of the benefactor, replied and sent me some pictures of her and hubby at the school from back in the '50s when they went and such. Very cool, and a fond memory of college days for me.

I think it's great that you want to donate that kind of sum to the university. If it were me (& I do give to my school, just not on that scale, yet), I'd want to have a fair idea how the money was being used, and would try to ensure it did some good in areas close to my personal ties to the school.

Thanks
• Jeff
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.