Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Would you please clarify: If I opened a Roth IRA in my name, would I be able to withdraw funds from this account in 18 years, penalty free, so long as the funds are used for higher education?

I understand gift trusts/kid trusts have limited tax benefits, and the Education IRA has a limit of $500 a year.

I'm not sure if we have the facts straight or not. Would you please advise? Thanks so much.

****You appear to have the facts straight as long as there is no change in the law. I wouldn't be too concerned about that, however. If that were to happen, I expect there would be a grandfather clause that would protect current subscribers.

You may wish, also, to take a look at your state's tuition account program. Some of them are providing some mighty decent returns and they lock into today's tuition costs for points or credit hours.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.