Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/555868.html

And put it on your credit card. If you ask me, this lady is extremely foolish. Why possibly mortgate your future for an animal? I truly do not understand why people would spend such exorbitant amounts of money on their pet.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I truly do not understand why people would spend such exorbitant amounts of money on their pet.

This is one of those extremely personal decisions - I can think of much worse ways to spend money. Having said that, I don't think I'd do it, but I couldn't just say I wouldn't.

Karon
No. of Recommendations: 11
And put it on your credit card. If you ask me, this lady is extremely foolish. Why possibly mortgate your future for an animal?

BTDT - not $25k, but still a lot. $1000 here, $2000 there for trips to a vet, this test, that chemo, etc. adds up quickly. However, I had the money in the bank to spend. If I had to put it on a credit card, I would have had to make a much harder decision. I'm not sure what I would have done.

As to why people spend that much - my dog was my family. If it were my child, I would have done the same thing. I understand that not everyone feels that way, but for those of us who do, it's our choice to work an extra year before we retire, if that's what it means.

AJ
No. of Recommendations: 32
And put it on your credit card. If you ask me, this lady is extremely foolish. Why possibly mortgate your future for an animal? I truly do not understand why people would spend such exorbitant amounts of money on their pet.

I wouldn't go into debt for my cat, no. But there are people on this board who cannot understand why others would spend thousands of dollars to have a child, or spend several hours a week polishing a car, or spend a lot of money on luxury vacations.

We're all different, and we all have different areas of concern and anxiety. There are different things we care about. If other people want to spend thousands of dollars to have a child, then I can recognize that as something that is extremely important to them, something that is a priority in their lives, and I can work with that. If people want to spend hours polishing their car and going to car shows, then they're perfectly free to do so.

And if someone feels that she loves her dog enough to spend that kind of money on taking care of it, then that is something that is important to her. And before someone starts on the "but pets have a short life," argument, I have a relative who married someone with acute kidney problems. Both of them knew that he would die at a young age. She believed that if she got ten years of happiness, it would be worth it. They got twelve. (Someone sent them a dog immediately after the wedding. The dog lived twelve years, too).

It's hard to crawl into someone else's mind and understand their motives and how their emotions wrap around things. I was attacked on this board, years ago, when discussing creating a small e-fund while paying off debt. I explained my reasoning and my thinking, and the person arguing with me insisted that everyone behaved in a rational manner, the e-fund would be put to better use by paying down debt, everyone would always do what the numbers said was best to do, and I would never get out of debt with my attitude. (I wasn't in debt, of course, but he stormed off the board before I could explain that). But I believe that humans do not always act in a rational manner. That's why I like to understand how people got into debt.

So, while I suspect that most people on this board would not spend thousands of dollars on a pet, that they would be willing to spend just as much, or more, on something they felt was important.

Nancy
But I believe that humans do not always act in a rational manner.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that humans behave rationally less often than we would care to admit.

foolazis
No. of Recommendations: 0

Well, I certainly wouldn't spend that much and put it on a credit card unless I had a plan where I could pay it off within a few months and it wouldn't cause undue hardship on my people family. That not being the situation at this time, I would not do it. As much as DD loves her cat, I am not too sure she would like me to spend her "jr year abroad money" on vet bills.

OTOH, if I were single and had a high income, I might.

Molly--who spent $110 to have a cyst removed from a Siamese
No. of Recommendations: 11

Chances are you spend money on things that others think are foolish.

To each their own, and as long as YOU aren't being asked to pay the bill for her pet, what do you care?
No. of Recommendations: 12
Why possibly mortgate your future for an animal?

You could also ask the same about having a child too, but I bet you wouldn't.

There are those of us (and yes, this includes me) that decide the type of children we want have 4 legs instead of two. We love them just as much and just like parents of the 2-legged variety we spoil and over-indulge them too. I couldn't say where I would draw the line and if I would as long as my pooch wasn't uncomfortable.

The highest vet bill to date was $1600 and hopefully I will never see one that high ever again, but to me my dog is my daughter - plain and simple. She helped get me thru my break-ups, my cancer crap, and my mom's passing. She's always there with a wiggle and hop on my lap when I'm sad. She rocks.

So if she gets a huge vet bill - I'll figure out a way to deal with it. When you decide to take on a pet it is a commitment.

Why possibly mortgate your future for an animal? I truly do not understand why people would spend such exorbitant amounts of money on their pet.

Because I love my pets.

A year and a half ago over a period of about a year I must have spent roughly $6000 or so for care for my cat with cancer. On the other hand with another cat, we did no extraordinary measures when she developed cancer and the cost involved was minimal. Why the difference? In one case the cat had about an 80% survival chance with surgery and chemo (she turned out to be in the unlucky 20% unfortunately). In the other case, treatment was not likely to be of any benefit.

At the time I was paying for the one cat, I did have debt and this did add to my debt. This was the cat that had slept on my pillow for the past 13 years. I didn't really have it in me to say...sorry, cat, I won't get you care that has a high chance of saving your life. Would there have been a point where I couldn't afford treatment? Yes. But I was willing to pay a little more interest in this situation.

Just this week my dog had puppies by C section. It was
"...It's hard to crawl into someone else's mind and understand their motives and how their emotions wrap around things..."

For those who find expensive medical procedures for pets to be foolish, consider this. My neighbor's full-time business is running his pet casket company. (you read that right). He manufactures high end pet caskets of all sizes. Amazingly it is a thriving long-term business. His clients are world-wide and he has filled orders for the Queen of England more than once.

While I find it hard to believe that anyone other than the Queen or Bill Gate$ would purchase such a thing, many many Many people buy these lavish pet caskets. Most of these are considerably nicer than my mother's casket was. I certainly loved my mother, but we agreed that it would be borderline insane to bury her encased in thousand dollar bills. The bit about 'emotions wrapped around things' had to stop short of impressing the tree roots and worms.

Indeed, humans do not always act in a rational manner. (myself included)

Pdub

I was not saying that someone shouldn't spend money on their pets if they'd like. What I THOUGHT was foolish, was this lady putting it on her credit card. I don't know her, but I would bet that she won't be able to pay it off in a few months. Hell, I would be she'll still be paying it off years from now. Long after her pet is dead and gone.

Everyone has their opinion, including me.
I was not saying that someone shouldn't spend money on their pets if they'd like. What I THOUGHT was foolish, was this lady putting it on her credit card. I don't know her, but I would bet that she won't be able to pay it off in a few months. Hell, I would be she'll still be paying it off years from now. Long after her pet is dead and gone.

Yeah, but you don't know that for sure. Maybe she put it on her Discover card, paid it off when the bill came in, and got 5% cashback.

Why speculate that things are bad unless you know for sure?

No. of Recommendations: 3

Actually, what I was responding to was this statement from your first post:

I truly do not understand why people would spend such exorbitant amounts of money on their pet.

And yes, definitely you are entitled to your opinion. I didn't say you weren't. I simply expressed my own view that it was impossible for people to understand other people's priorities.

I'm sorry if you misinterpreted my post.

Nancy
Hey Nancy, no worries. We're good. :)
"Yeah, but you don't know that for sure. Maybe she put it on her Discover card, paid it off when the bill came in, and got 5% cashback.

Why speculate that things are bad unless you know for sure?"

Edith: You're right. I don't know for sure. But, based on stories from people here and in the news, I would say the odds that she paid it off immediately are pretty slim.

Well... I would. Fool or not, if push came to shove on my Beagle, Daschunds or cats, I'd put it on a CC without hesitation if I had to. They are an integral part of our family and we love them. Stupid? maybe...

We are unabashedly sentimental pet folks... One Beagle, Two Daschunds, Three cats.
We are unabashedly sentimental pet folks... One Beagle, Two Daschunds, Three cats.

So how does the rest of the Stevierayclapton pet jingle go?

Five ____,
Four _____,
Three Cats,
Two Daschunds,
and a lovable Beagle!

Hohum (a dog person :) )

NO. NEVER. EVER. PERIOD.

d'man (back from the Carribean and well rested)