No. of Recommendations: 16
A few weeks ago, I came across the url of a small publisher called Shadowrose, that publishes romance novels. I forwarded the url to my mother, who writes romance novels. In turn, she pointed out that they had just recently started publishing SF/fantasy and other genre fiction under the imprint Shadowmere. So she and I both submitted manuscripts to them.

Last Wednesday my mother received a contract by e-mail from Shadowrose for her novel (Devil's Embrace), under the pseudonym Clarice Chapman.

This morning I received an e-mail from the editor at Shadowmere. She liked Lichen or Not (my second novel) so much she sent me contracts not only for Lichen but sight unseen for The Tessarene Imperative too (my first novel, for which Lichen is a sort of prequel). She's also interested in Reunion when I finish it (it's half written). It's the sequel to both Lichen and Tessarene. (Reunion brings the main characters of both novels together in a new adventure.) That'll be my fifth completed novel.

She says they plan to cross-promote the two books as part of a series, and release them about a month apart.

This has been a pretty good week for the Chapman family, with three book sales between my mother and me since Wednesday.... (Understatement of the year.)

Of course, as a small publisher, they don't pay anything up-front; it's all from the royalties. We'll see how the sales go. But it's a foot (two feet, actually) in the door. They'll also be publishing a few of my short stories individually, through the Amazon Shorts program. If people find the stories (for all of $0.49 each) and like them, they're likely to look for more stuff by me and find the novels. If they like the books, and write positive reviews (hint-hint ), that can really help sales.

I'll keep you informed as things progress. There's a good chance all the titles will change before publication, so I'll let you know what the final titles will be when I know.

Mark.

P.S. Meanwhile, my third novel (Sunrise Destiny)is in the hands of another publisher, and my fourth (My Other Car is a Spaceship) is nearing completion--maybe 4-6 more weeks. So this could be a *very* interesting year for me.... (Not that it isn't already.) If things go ridiculously well for me, I could have five book sales this year.... Talk about feast or famine! <g>

P.P.S. Here are the urls for Shadowrose/Shadowmere, if anyone is interested:
http://www.shadowrosepublishing.net
http://www.shadowmerepublishing.com

(Note that while the submission guidelines say up to 100K for Shadowrose and up to 80K for Shadowmere, all of my manuscripts are between 100K and 104K, so don't let the limits scare you off if you have a good story to tell and it's well-written.)
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Woo Hoo!! Congrats, Mark!!
Kathleen
Congrats, woohoo!!!!
Most excellent. I see that Shadowrose/Shadowmere is adopting the Baen pricing model for eBooks so I expect I'll be purchasing the electrons when they're ready...

DD
Thanks, Kathleen! I'm pretty exceited. (Duh!) That's two books up-front with the likelihood of a third when it's done. If they sell reasonably well, there's no reason they won't pick my other two novels, too--they're newer and probably even better-written (not that the first two aren't outstanding <g>). That's assuming Sam's Dot Publishing doesn't buy the one they're looking at now. The editor at Shadowmere loves my writing style, which is always a good thing.... <g>

Mark.

Thanks, JT!

Mark. (Wow. That's two "woohoo's" out of two.)
>>>>Most excellent. I see that Shadowrose/Shadowmere is adopting the Baen pricing model for eBooks so I expect I'll be purchasing the electrons when they're ready...

DD: Because they're probably going to be printing small numbers of paperbacks (at least initially), it's hard for them to keep the printing costs down per copy. So they're really emphasizing the ebook format. They sell for only $5. I don't know what the printed book price will be, but I'm guessing closer to $8. (And a bargain at twice the price....)

As for me, I'd be happy with sales of either format, but I'll make more from the e-books, despite the lower price. I get 50% of the ebook sales price, vs. only 20% for the paperbacks. (Go e-books! <g>)

Mark.

No. of Recommendations: 3
More news on the book front: the editor and I finally settled on the title for the first book and the overall series name (just last night, in fact).

- The Mars Imperative (formerly Lichen or Not)
- The Tessarene Imperative
- The (something-or-other) Imperative (possibly The Galactic Imperative, but the book's only half-finished, so I don't know what will be the most apt title for it yet)

The series will be called The Imperative Chronicles.

The aggressive publication date for The Mars Imperative is June 15th! (Yes, this year.) The second book should be out 1-2 months later. We haven't set a date yet.

The cover price for the ebook should be $5. They haven't set one for the paperback yet (at least, not that I've heard).

Mark.
Congratulations Mark! I hope you buckled in because it sounds like a wild ride!
>>>>Congratulations Mark! I hope you buckled in because it sounds like a wild ride!

Thanks, DD. Don't I know it. The e-mails have been flying fast and furiously. We had to settle on a book title, a series title, ideas for a cover for the first book, and other administrivia, all since yesterday.

Also, I need to set up a web site and a blog ASAP. Sheesh. I barely know how to spell blog, let alone how to set one up. Not to mention an e-mail address for the site, etc. It would be fine if I had a few months to do all this and get the kinks worked out. But in two weeks??? <sigh> Well, I asked for it.... <g>

Mark.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Very nice, congratulations.

Just think, in a few years you'll be reading threads on here about how the second "Imperative" series lacks the focus of the first, and how you're just stringing the fans along with too many sideplots and you really should have finished the story by book 9... :)

good fortune,
-progmtl.
No. of Recommendations: 1
>>>>Very nice, congratulations.

Thanks, progmtl!

>>>>Just think, in a few years you'll be reading threads on here about how the second "Imperative" series lacks the focus of the first, and how you're just stringing the fans along with too many sideplots and you really should have finished the story by book 9... :)

Better that than having threads about how I should have finished the story by book 2... <g>

Meanwhile, I plan to end my latest book (90% done) in such a way there's room for a sequel or two. (Completely different "universe".) I already did that with my fourth book, so there could be several different unrelated series coming out of these books, eventually.

Mark. (So much for the days when I wondered if I had even *one* novel in me.... <g>)
More news on the book front: the editor and I finally settled on the title for the first book and the overall series name (just last night, in fact).

- The Mars Imperative (formerly Lichen or Not)
- The Tessarene Imperative
- The (something-or-other) Imperative (possibly The Galactic Imperative, but the book's only half-finished, so I don't know what will be the most apt title for it yet)

The series will be called The Imperative Chronicles.

WOO HOOO!!!
Congrats!!
Kathleen
Congratulations Mark and best of luck with your new deal. Sounds like they will be keeping you busy for awhile.
>>>>WOO HOOO!!!
>>>>Congrats!!

Thanks, Kathleen! <g>

Mark.
No. of Recommendations: 1
>>>>Congratulations Mark and best of luck with your new deal. Sounds like they will be keeping you busy for awhile.

Thanks, PB3. I suspect you're correct. Aside from finishing my current novel (90% done), and then finishing the third book in the Imperative series (half done), I'm also doing whatever editing is required, writing the jacket blurbs, writing up suggestions for the cover art, etc. Plus, I'm helping with some of the promotional/marketing work. (Tracking down web sites/ezines willing to review the book, setting up a web site and a blog, etc.)

And that's assuming I don't sell my fourth book to the other publisher in the middle of all this. I suspect the rest of my year will be pretty hectic. But it's a happy kind of hectic.... <g>

Mark.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'd been obsessing the last few days over how to create a blog. Today I came across a tool/service called blogger and gave it a try. Boy, was it easy. It took less than ten minutes to create the profile and get started blogging. If anyone's interested, here's the link:

tesserene dreams at http://tesserene.blogspot.com.

Mark.
tesserene dreams at http://tesserene.blogspot.com.

But I thought the title of the book was Tessarene Imperative...
>>>>But I thought the title of the book was Tessarene Imperative...

JT: Good eyes. It *was*. But as someone pointed out a while back, if the name of the mineral came from the fact that its ability to fold space reminded someone of a tesseract (a four-dimensional cube), shouldn't it be spelled tesser and not tessar. I finally decided (now that a lot of other people would be reading the book) to change the spelling.

Another issue is that as a mineral, it probably should have an ite suffix, rather than an ene suffix, but I have the name too firmly ingrained in my brain after four years to change it at this time. I'd hate to spend the next 20 years of interviews (yeah, right) calling it tesserene when the name has "officially" been changed to tesserite. <g> I might occasionally "misspell" the name with an a, but at least that could be attributed to a typo. (Imagine if Michael Crichton kept referring to The Andromeda Strain as The Aldebaran Strain.... <g>)

Mark.