Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
WOW! Excellent post.

My thought at the OP's post was a little less...well scientific. But it is the same comment of his that gave me pause.

The encyclopedia.

His implication that the encyclopedia contains everything 'knowable' is supreme hubris. In fact, as your example of vastness points out, our encyclopedia is laughable in its incompleteness. There is barley anything in them compared to the Universe, or even compared to what could be known about the oceans.

The encyclopedia is limited to the knowledge that humankind has written down. There is so much information that we have lost, don't know, may never know.
His comparison is like saying since I know how lighbulb works, I know how the stars shine.

Once again, totally messed up logic, but people swallow it without question.

Buffy (who thinks this dude needs to get a clue and come back...)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.