Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Wow! It's great to be remembered/welcomed back! Thank you so much BGinNJ! I agree that it's sad how politics has invaded our lives to a degree much greater than in the past. I try to stay non-political, although I don't hide my bias toward smaller government/lower taxes. I feel like a dinosaur these days. At any rate, I've been checking out some of the other financial pages on Motley Fool and will post a little and see how it goes.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
What happened to "Intercst" and retirement/financial planning conversation?

https://boards.fool.com/retirement-investing-100154.aspx

BruceM
Thank you, BruceM
No. of Recommendations: 3
He left a long time ago and started the Retired Early Liberal Board after constantly talking about liberal politics and zero investment. It was tiresome for all.

This board has changed, I was one of the regulars here and considered many my virtual day to day slice of life friends. Some of them moved to Facebook, some passed away and some just got plain tired of the trolls.

Welcome back....there are small pockets of interesting discussion on here about investing...check the Best Of board for clues as to where they might be. :)

Lucky Dog
No. of Recommendations: 1
He left a long time ago and started the Retired Early Liberal Board after constantly talking about liberal politics and zero investment. It was tiresome for all.

Irony, thy name is Lucky Dog.
By the way, that's sort of why I left. Too much Left leaning politics and not enough financial stuff. And I found other outlets more to what I was looking for.
Daryll44:

Welcome back!

When I saw your name I looked up my favorite list. You were still on it under the Daryll40 name. You always had positive contributions to make to the board regardless of topic.

From the earliest days, we had lots of posters who had areas of disagreement. The difference then was that there were usually a number of other subjects that one could write about and find that they had common ground with eachother.

What eventually happened is that we were invaded by trolls who never post on anything else but their one trick pony political subject. That happened on other boards too. It led to my ignored Fools list maxing out at the 300 limit. Sometimes I had to remove a name in order to make room for a new one. I do not understand the mentality of trying to engage with people who show no desire to have an honest discussion. When that dishonesty is accompanied by a generous topping of nastiness and overall incivility, I prefer to remove myself from the mud. That often leaves pages with half the posts being greyed out. I found that this was far better for me emotionally. It didn't help that those in charge at the Fool had a habit of deciding whose posts or even cyber existence were worthy of deleting based on the posters political views.

Much like our society at large today, we see the rule of law being applied in vastly different ways depending on which side the aisle ones politics are. It is a major contributor to the average person having lost faith in long standing American institutions. How can one reason with a DA releasing violent criminals from jails without accounting for the victims left behind still suffering? How does one process the DA in LA disbanding the anti gang unit when gang violence is surging in their city?

Is it a coincidence that when I checked out your last post here it was literally a couple of days after Obama was elected president?

So, how have things been for you during the last 10+ years?

BG
Wow! It's great to be remembered/welcomed back! Thank you so much BGinNJ! I agree that it's sad how politics has invaded our lives to a degree much greater than in the past. I try to stay non-political, although I don't hide my bias toward smaller government/lower taxes. I feel like a dinosaur these days. At any rate, I've been checking out some of the other financial pages on Motley Fool and will post a little and see how it goes.
What happened to "Intercst" and retirement/financial planning conversation?

https://boards.fool.com/retirement-investing-100154.aspx

Have you followed that board lately? The last two weeks have featured mostly political arguing. It seems like most boards start out as "Topic X," turn into "Topic X plus politics" justified by how politics affect Topix X, then devolve into "Politics plus Topic X" before becoming just politics.
No. of Recommendations: 9
Just to further expound on LuckyDog's answer, someone got their panties in a wad over several posters and continually flamed/reported them to TMF. And "we" found out TMF is pretty much like all other social media, doesn't really check facts, just knee jerk reaction, so plenty of people got probation/suspension and they ultimately left to first FB and then MeWe.

JLC
It seems like most boards start out as "Topic X," turn into "Topic X plus politics" justified by how politics affect Topix X, then devolve into "Politics plus Topic X" before becoming just politics.

Which is why METaR https://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?mid=34807621&bid=11... has a "no politics" rule.

I don't think that said rule is enforced completely consistently and in a precisely balanced manner, but it's close enough to be far better than not trying.
has a "no politics" rule.

Unfortunate the this R E CampFIRE is listed in FoolWorld in the Politics Section. Don't know if that was a deliberate choice or the judgement of the Foolish Gods.

I note that posters of HURL got sick of the politic jokes, so they decided to go non political and they police the matter themselves. Actually the political jokes were some of the best, but it was the endless schoolyard tribal taunting that followed in the thread that are so tiresome. Poll users and see if they are OK with the idea.

Otherwise start a new non political version
". Poll users and see if they are OK with the idea.

Otherwise start a new non political version "

Or choose to read threads you enjoy and do not read threads you do not enjoy.

Howie52
Individual choice is a wonderful thing - if you choose to use your mind or if you
choose to allow your mind to be open to various ideas.
No. of Recommendations: 4
has a "no politics" rule.

Unfortunate the this R E CampFIRE is listed in FoolWorld in the Politics Section.

The Retire Early Campfire Board started out as the Retire Early Homepage, begun by intercst as a counterpart to his actual web page dealing with early retirement. Discussions were mostly about retiring early and financial independence enabling that, along with some politics. The left-leaning people of the board didn't like the right-leaning people, so the founder created the RELE to serve as a liberal echo chamber, leaving the REHP to morph into the RECF and stay right-leaning. Plenty of regular contributors were suspended and/or banned for defending themselves against attacks and criticism and using the same language as the attacks and criticism, and the punishments were applied pretty much unidirectionally.

I started following Retirement Investing more, but over the past few weeks it's been a mutual whine fest for people wanting higher taxes to pay for all the wonderful programs they foresee government giving us.

So, it makes sense for RECF to be considered political, and the threads have been so for a long time. It's too bad that the political gnashing of teeth always seems to creep into every other board.
No. of Recommendations: 6
Just about all the boards get infested with the political posts and as you can see, the numbers of posts dwindle down. Heck, even the Humor board gets twisted up at times.

Like I say, look around for interesting posts and interesting posters. The trolls are entrenched and I have come to the conclusion that some people are so unhappy and argumentative, they get relief only when someone responds to their endless baiting. Grey them out and save your sanity. :)

I do miss the camaraderie of the old board tremendously, it was like chatting with neighbors over the backyard fence about slice of life stuff and most of us had or were working towards early retirement. It’s been hard to replace so I get a little here and there sometimes, but it’s not the same.

Such is life, it’s always changing.

Lucky Dog
I do miss the camaraderie of the old board tremendously, it was like chatting with neighbors over the backyard fence about slice of life stuff and most of us had or were working towards early retirement. It’s been hard to replace so I get a little here and there sometimes, but it’s not the same. - LD

----------------

Yep, RECF was much more fun in those days. The regulars shared a lot about what was going on the lives and it was really like a bunch of friends getting together. And there was some goodhearted towel snapping too. I miss Art and CC going at it over death bed visions; and tele's godthingie rants; and Arts squirrel hunting and roadkill recipes; and the Barons slice of life posts about Cleveland; and 2828's snarky wit; and all the Seinfeld references; and Arretes bird rescue stories; and Tmeris grammar police; and on and on. Good times.
"Yep, RECF was much more fun in those days. The regulars shared a lot about what was going on the lives and it was really like a bunch of friends getting together. And there was some goodhearted towel snapping too. I miss Art and CC going at it over death bed visions; and tele's godthingie rants; and Arts squirrel hunting and roadkill recipes; and the Barons slice of life posts about Cleveland; and 2828's snarky wit; and all the Seinfeld references; and Arretes bird rescue stories; and Tmeris grammar police; and on and on. Good times"

Well, we ALL were a long 'younger' and probably more active - doing things.... and either near retirement, or just retired and getting very active.

Artimus was busy popping squirrels with his 22 CBT rounds....and telling us how to prepare - based upon his experience as a meat cutter at the store in FL. And years of hunting and cooking various animals - from rabbits to whatnot. Then a few years ago, he got serious about his health - was approaching severe diabetes - and decided to loose 100 lbs. Now, he'll tell you how healthy he was living....and still working on NDEs (near death experiences). Busy with family and think wife is still working - she loves her job). Every now and then LindyLib mentions him on one of the boards. wonder if he still visits his favorite Chinese Buffet and pigs out on shrimp? (Met him once and we hit the Chinese place).

Baron is on FB. See his posts about life in Cleveland including the recent snow storm, all his visits to the various old houses around town to take pics, his walks, and I think he got both his vax shots.

Meanwhile, tele is doing his thing in TX. Covid slowed down the travels 90%. No where to go, no events/conventions to head to, no visits with family this past holiday season - just a Zoom call to get the family 'together' from four different locations. Still happily retired. Got my vax, so eating out a bit more. Also a bunch of one or two day trips. Had fun recently in 2 day trip to OK....came back along I-40 which is old Route 66.....there's a bunch of towns that used to be 'on the main route'. Stopped in Clinton and the OK Route 66 Museum there. Nice place. There's also a RT 66 Museum in MO up near St Louis, and of course, all sorts of tourist attractions along the way if you get off I-40 on 'business 40' which is really the old RT 66 in most towns.

We all sort of burned out on retire early discussion - probably all 'retired' and after we may have made changes in invests, just coasting on what we had done back then.

Intercst bought an airplane but haven't heard a peep out of him about it. well, he too likely has no place to fly to 'meet friends' for 'events' and flying out of same airport for a few hours is enough to get you in the air - but why? Well, he's got enough to spend to keep it at the airport each month, pay for annual inspections - even if it gets 10 hours of flight time a year. Meanwhile, he's busy telling us how he manipulates the system to get $20/month ObamaKare but I think he just hit Medicare age (?)....dunno.... lsst post I remember on subject was how great Medicare was compared to 'cheap' ObamaKare. Of course, Medicare costs you some additional bucks - and if you have supplement, $200/mo plus.

Well, that's enough for now- Oh....forgot LD - and her dogs keeping her company during the pandemic.

t
Well, that's enough for now- Oh....forgot LD - and her dogs keeping her company during the pandemic.

t

------------------

I wish someone would trigger a good godthingie rant. Those were great. They really were. I enjoyed the hell out of them.

t

Sadly, my sweet dog Sweetum’s, died January 21, 2014 and the Crazy Jack, died April 19, 2016 and the formerly feral feline, Mr. Fluffy died December 21, 2020.

Lucky Dog
"Sadly, my sweet dog Sweetum’s, died January 21, 2014 and the Crazy Jack, died April 19, 2016 and the formerly feral feline, Mr. Fluffy died December 21, 2020.

Lucky Dog"

Dog-less now?

t.
Sadly, my sweet dog Sweetum’s, died January 21, 2014 and the Crazy Jack, died April 19, 2016 and the formerly feral feline, Mr. Fluffy died December 21, 2020.

Lucky Dog"

Dog-less now?

t.

>>>>>
Yes I am. I think I will be actively looking for a canine companion this year. I’ve looked at some rescue sites and see big dogs, so once things start opening up more, I will visit the sites and ask my doggie friends if they know of a young dog that needs a home. We’ll see what happens but I have greatly missed the unconditional love and companionship of a dog.

Ellie Mae Lucky Dog