Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 7
Wow, obviously someone was pulling my chain when they said it was $5k to have this property surveyed. No, I didn't know I could back out if the survey revealed something unsatisfactory. Here is the quote I found online for my area:

Cost of Boundary Survey in Oregon
$702.78 fixed fee for residential boundary survey (up to 1/2 acre) (Range: $465.20 - $940.35)

This isn't in my town, but it's a long way from $5k. That's the number I heard from the suing neighbor and what they paid. Is it obvious I'm a trusting person? I need to stop believing people and be more cautious.

The neighbor offered me $1,000 to move the shed (so they can take the 6.5' length of my back boundary and build their garage). I said that was a joke. My attorney said $10k would be a starting discussion, and $1k was a real insult considering what I've spent in attorney fees. I told him at the least they should repay me for the first few claims that were totally false, wasting my money in the beginning (I owed rent for the shed, then the claims of how much the shed was over the property line increasing with each letter).

Still waiting for a court date. I think the filing deadline is July 22nd. My attorney is requesting some notarized letters from my neighbors who can't attend in court. He is asking their knowledge of any property disputes prior to this one, including prior homeowners. The neighbors to my right and left and the prior owner of my home have all stated there were none.

Sue1anne
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.