Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Wow, Patzer. Just, Wow.
My HDL is 39, so I can hardly conceive of how one gets to a 76 rating on this one. What on earth are you doing?

Running 3 days a week, when not sidelined by injuries. Walking briskly (~14 minutes per mile) on non-running days. Pushups every morning. Pullups du jour every morning (rotating between neutral grip, pronated narrow grip, chinups, and pronated doorframe width grip in a four day cycle). When the tests were done, I had been doing some strength training too; I'm off that for tax season.

Eating to maintain weight, which is currently (don't shoot me) about 3000 calories per day. These are spread between carbs, fat, and protein by the SparkPeople recommended ranges, modified to increase the minimum protein.

Sometimes I come up short on the fat grams; my go to food to make the minimum is almonds. Or sometimes eggs. Yes, whole eggs including the yolks, particularly when I need both fat and protein to make minimums.

I always have to consider getting enough protein. Other go to proteins are baked chicken breast (chopped to be an ingredient), tuna, low fat cottage cheese, and Greek yogurt.

Carbs pretty much take care of themselves, and typically come in between 55% and 60% of my daily calories. I have a sweet tooth, and every day I have some candy. Most days it isn't much; the candy canes that would have lasted me till Valentine's Day before I started tracking food are still around for Tax Day this year.

I do not claim this is the *best* diet or that it will work for everyone; it works for me.

I may have got a boost from my genetics on the cholesterol front; but even before I got serious about controlling what I ate, I walked a lot and could do 15 minute miles walking for several miles. I'm not so sure I believe in a strong genetic benefit on cholesterol, as I have a family tree full of stroke and atherosclerosis. Hence the old fart desire to control what risk factors I can.

My Vitamin D situation is a disaster. I first had it checked about 2-3 years ago when I started hearing more about the prevalence of deficiency from people. First time I got this checked, my level was 13.

Okay, I looked. Vitamin D went from 25 in 2011 to 15 in 2013. The doctor didn't complain in 2011. In 2013 I got a note attached to the lab results to take 2000 IU supplement per day, maybe 4000 for a few weeks to build levels.

The Vitamin D thing is new to me. I will have to pay attention and see if it becomes something chronic. I don't know if there's something about the fitness efforts that I ramped up in that period that sucked up more vitamin D, or what. FWIW, the supplement bottle says to take them with food; so I take it with my egg at breakfast. I figure if I need fat to absorb the D, that's the best I'm going to do until the recheck.

Patzer
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.