No. of Recommendations: 7
Wow what a thread. I hate to add to it (how much bandwidth was killed to make this thread? :) ) but what the heck...

A) best response to a newbie who enters here: welcome them into the fold, politely point them towards the Foolish Workshop board and other resources, and give a brief answer to their question, with the obligatory "you can get more details at [Workshop board, Elan's FAQ, etc.]" I think the key to that last bit is "brief". A less than complete answer, enough so they learn a little, but also enough that they realize there's more they should know, and the other resources are the best place to get it.

B) board names. I still think the distinction isn't really "beginner" and "advanced", but rather (as Elan described in one of his intro posts or in the FAQ) that one board is for asking questions and learning the mechanics of MI, while the other board is for continuing R&D. I realize that this is' in essence, a distinction between "beginner" and "advanced", but that's not really the distinction we're aiming for. Many "advanced" MI people may have issues come up that they think are more appropriate to be aired on the Workshop board. The boards should be driven by the type of content, not by the "credentials" of the poster. The more we adhere to that, the better we can do at pointing newbies in the right direction without making anyone feel bad about themselves.

In saying this I realize that being able to keep your ego out of investing, admitting when you're wrong, and calmly accepting the cruel stings of the market are all traits we need to be successful MI'ers (why all this "feelings" stuff, the market don't care if your feelings get hurt), but those traits aren't developed overnight. And yes, if you're the type of person who looks before you leap (or lurks before you post), you're much closer to having the right mindset for MI than if you just barge in without doing any homework. But hey, we all make mistakes from time to time, I think people should be given the chance to learn from their mistakes.

Last bit: if someone clearly shows over time that they are unwilling to learn or become antagonistic or whatever, then hey, all bets are off. But those people are likely few and far between.

Or we can all just remember the MI commandment that Stanley mentioned earlier: "honor the newbie"

-synchronicity
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.