Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Wradical,

You wrote, You can withdraw the excess from either account, but I'd use the second account, which put you over the top, because the date of that contribution, not the first contribution, is the date from which the custodian has to calculate the earnings that must be withdrawn, in addition to the excess contribution. And the earlier date is otherwise irrelevant to the second custodian.

nit: Technically I think the excess contribution is supposed to be calculated based on the earnings of the entire Individual Retirement Arrangement - not just one account or the other. In theory picking one or the other could be used to game the withdrawal to minimize the earnings to be taxed. So I believe you are *supposed* to take the earnings across all accounts into consideration.

Also, You have until the extended due date of the return …

Isn't this only true if culcha didn't do this as a backdoor Roth IRA contribution? Wouldn't the new recharacterization restrictions make undoing an excess contribution after the calendar year a little problematic?

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.