Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 11
I'd like to suggest that there's a big difference between people who want to write and people who want to be writers. People who want to write simply sit down and do it. People who want to be writers want something different; they want the work to already be done, and something that they can use to impress gullible young women (OK, maybe some women want to impress gullible young guys) that they meet in bars. They want the benefits of the writing life, without the commitment, and I suspect they'll never make it.

An old friend that I hadn't seen for over 30 years showed up in my e-mail one day, and we began corresponding. He wants to be a writer. However, when I ask him to send me things, he seems more interested in playing computer games. He wants me to get similar games, so we can play on the internet. I suspect he has a hard time finding the time to be a writer.

A lot of people will say, "How do I find time to write?" I've never heard a guy ask "How do I find time to lock myself in the bathroom with a Victoria's Secret catalog?" If you want to write, you will, and if you don't, you won't.

Maybe we should all take lessons from dogs. Learn the wisdom of the command "sit", and do it. Be loyal to those who feed us. And write as dogs chase rabbits. If dogs could talk, I doubt if one would ever ask, "How do I find time to chase rabbits?"

This is, of course, easy advice to give, and hard to take. I haven't played any computer games with my friend, but it's easy as can be to get distracted into non-productive time wasters. If you feel that I'm lecturing you, please don't be offended. Be assured that I'm lecturing myself as much, or more, as I lecture you.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.