Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
This Fidelity foul-up really bothers me and I can
never reach the IRS 800 number for information.

In '89, I started a Roth that I transferred to
Fidelity (transfer-in date 5/18/99) where I also
have non-retirement accounts.

On 5/20, Fidelity sent a $503.68 check that I as- sumed to be from my regular money market acct. as I never requested a withdrawal from my new Roth.

I don't receive monthly paper statements and admit
that I was lax viewing them online as lots of changes occurred (a death, change of address etc.)

Now I am lookig at their Form 1099-R, "gross distrib ution from Roth". Fidelity's customer rep insists they can't just replace the money from my non- retirement Mmkt Fnd. to correct this, as it would be considered a new contribution.

This was a Fidelity foul-up. I want my money
restored to my Roth account before it is too late to correct it, yet Fidelity is not very cooperative.

Won't you please let me know, pref. by email so I
won't miss it, what I must do to straighten this
out? Thank you for your help.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.