No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm not an architect and I don't play one on television, so this question may sound naive to a professional. The original Twin Towers were 1,350' high, and the replacement will be 1,776' high. I wonder, since bringing down the original towers caused so much damage to the surrounding area and since whatever goes up will eventually come down, is this a little impractical?

There is no picture of the planned buildings in this article, so I have absolutely no idea how it will fit in and/or impact with the neighborhood.

Angular Tower Plan Chosen for WTC Site  

February 27, 2003 02:40 PM EST  

NEW YORK - Declaring the plan would restore "lower Manhattan to its rightful place in the world," Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced Thursday the selection of architect Daniel Libeskind's design to rebuild the World Trade Center site.

The plan envisions sloping, angular towers with a 1,776-foot airy spire soaring into the sky. It also preserves part of the sunken pit that was the foundation of the original 1,350-foot twin towers, where Libeskind imagines space for a museum and a memorial to the nearly 2,800 victims who died there Sept. 11, 2001.

http://start.earthlink.net/newsarticle?cat=6&aid=D7PF6JB80_story
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.