Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
WV is not a wind poor state. It is only about 10% less wind speed and power generation capability than wind rich states.

It's much more than 10%. Much, much more. Nearly all of WV has an average wind speed at utility height of between 4-5 m/s. In the Wind Belt, those speeds are between 8-9 m/s. Nearly double. Iowa isn't the #2 state in the country in total wind generation because of its large population - it's #2 because it's got enormous wind resources. Even in 'moderate' good wind states, you're looking at wind speeds running around 6-7 m/s - about 20-25% richer in wind resources than in WV.

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/wind/where-wind-power-is...

You don't think that matters? There's a reason why so much wind investment has taken place in the Great Plains/Wind Corridor area - even though most of those states are Red states. Because an extra 50-100% margin is enormous in deciding where to locate resources. Heck, if I can generate 20% more power from a typical wind facility if I locate it in Ohio rather than in WV, I'm going to put it in Ohio. I should put it in Ohio, and export the electricity to WV - the environment doesn't care about our fictional state lines on a map, and the greater unit of electricity provided per unit of investment, the better our transition will go.

We're not eliminating fossil fuels in electrical power in either the short-run or the intermediate-run. We'll still have a 'carbon budget' for electrical power generation well into 2050 and beyond. And most of that carbon budget will, and should, be allocated to the mid-Atlantic/lower Appalachian states, where wind resources are weaker than nearly everywhere else and where there is relatively little insolation. Wind power is possible in West Virginia, but its more efficient almost everywhere else.

Albaby
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.