Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I have to admit that the possibility of universal binaries had completely slipped my mind. I had gotten so accustomed to Rosetta. With both Universal 2 and Rosetta 2 demonstrated on Apple Silicon -- I like that name -- I am now completely sold on ARM in Macs. Apple is not forgetting the lessons learned in past transitions.

I'm still a bit concerned about some of the binaries I run in the Unix layer, though, including mission critical commercial software. We'll see.

It looks like I'll hold off on buying a new Mac until the transition is well over. I have a 2019 iMac which should suit me well past the transition, but I have a 2016 MBP that will be coming due for an upgrade.

The new macOS Big Sur interface demonstrates the continuing convergence of macOS/iOS/iPadOS, but I was strangely reminded of the Aqua interface under the earliest versions of Mac OS X. The candy store colors reminded me of Steve Jobs saying the buttons look so good you want to lick them.

One past lesson I'm not sure Apple has retained shows up in the translucent menu bar. Apple had a translucent menu bar back in Leopard, if I recall correctly. What people found was that, if they had sufficiently complex desktop pictures (i.e. photos with even moderately detailed imagery), translucency made the menu bar text more difficult to read. Apple eventually listened to users and implemented a setting to turn off translucency, and now, the solid menu bar seems to be the default in Catalina. I hope a solid menu bar remains as an option.

-awlabrador
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.