Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
TMFPixy,

I could have sent you an email directly but I am sure other Fools are interested in the answer. When is the new retirement area going to open?
Print the post Back To Top
PSUEngineerFool,

<<I could have sent you an email directly but I am sure other Fools are interested in the answer. When is the new retirement area going to open?>>

All I can say for sure is within the next couple three weeks. I had hoped it would be ready sometime this week, but no such luck. Our Foolish editorial person has two higher priorities that must be finished first, and then comes the retirement area.

Like me, you'll just have to be patient. When the unveiling comes, it should prove worth the wait for the calculators alone.

Regards….Pixy

. Our Foolish editorial person has two higher priorities that must be finished first, and then comes the retirement area

Ain't that typical of most of us, two other priorities THEN retirement! (vbg>

Steve
Steve,

Your response is poetic. I love it! TMF setting the example, by putting of 'Retirement Planning'. lol.

Helter - can't wait for the calculators!
<<Our Foolish editorial person has two higher priorities that must be finished first, and then comes the retirement area

Ain't that typical of most of us, two other priorities THEN retirement! (vbg>

Steve >>

Without sounding too impatient, my first and foremost (forgive the redundancy) priority is early retirement!
Like yesterday. :)
The TWO steps to retirement are:

1. Simplify
2. Select a date, financial need objective and DO IT!

Actually, in the other order. By simplify, I mean get rid of your stuff... and don't buy any more. Live someplace that is inexpensive (not a big city). Invest the proceeds from your sale of your house, cars, boat and tools in equities.

Our lifestyle is Full time RV. One car, one 5th wheel, live winter in Mexico. We are young and wishing we did it 10 years ago. However.. this makes you a very poor consumer, and except for buying equities, we live inside $40K per year.
How on earth do you pay taxes/get mail, etc...?

I've been thinking of becoming a vagrant myself, but the 'tax address' and 'mailing address' leave me thinking that I'll have to pick a place to call home. Why not just pick a state with no sales tax, and get a PO box there? Is that tax evasion if you're really 'homeless' ??
What you want to do is pick a place that has no income tax. nevada, texas, florida to mention 3. Then you live in a state that has no sales tax. Oregon, new Hampshire to name 2. One of the considerations is that you may have to return to you home state once a year or so to have your vehicle inspected for registartion renewal. I suggest you get in touch with the Good Sam club. They have a book on residency requirements taxes etc for the 50 state. they also have a system of forwarding mail and phone calls. It's meant for anyone who live on wheels.

Joe Varga
Is the Good Sam club on the www?

and is any of this considered 'tax evasion', I guess as long as you fulfill the 'residency requirements' then you are within the law. Any thoughts out there?
It's on the web. Try

http://www.goodsamclub.com

i don't thinks considered tax evasion if you meet the residency requirements.

Good luck

Joe Varga
Greetings Pholks,
Tax evasion is things like filing a fraudulent return, understating your income to pay less tax, etc. Being mobile and establishing residency (within the legal parameters) to reduce your tax bite is "tax avoidance" which is a good Foolish thing. If you can legally do things to reduce your taxes, go for it. If you can legally do things to reduce your taxes and don't do them then bend over and grab your ankles so someone can kick your butt!
Phool On,
PhuzzPhool
My parents are almost there. They've established their permanent mailing address in Texas. It's actually pretty clever (wish I'd thought of it). You tell everybody to send your mail to this address, then you can call them up and they will forward the mail to wherever you're really going to be (like at your kids house). The service also offers a message service so that you can check your messages.

They still own a house in Arizona, but they keep talking about selling it and becoming "full-timers". When they do, I'll bet they establish residencey in a state with no income taxes. Nothing illegal here, they will still pay Federal Income Tax, but they are living very modestly and don't have to pay much of that either.