No. of Recommendations: 0
Seems a likely place to chat on Xfinity... A love/hate relationship here, after bailing on a slow DSL from at&t...

Anyway, we have Amazon Prime, but using the Samsung TV App, it hangs, even with a hardwired ethernet connection, latest updates verified. So what has worked in the X1 App for Prime, until tonight. Pixelated parts of the screen, going forward to Mrs Mazel, nothing legible, but clicking did bring up the 1st episode of Season 3, and that worked OK.

Problem seems to be the App that pulls it in, but Im not sure where to go after the fix.. Likely Comcast, no other issues, however.. Odd trouble.. I tried my other TV, and it comes up clean and correctly...

Maybe just a fluke, will try again tomorrow..

Ideas?

weco
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
We used to do Netflix in a Samsung Smart TV. It hung frequently. We upgraded our connection speed, but didn't really see a difference. Since getting a ROKU device it has hung ONCE, and it was a reboot of my DSL modem that fixed it (i.e. not the device).

I have come to the conclusion that the Samsung Smart TV doesn't work as well as a ROKU or similar unit. I would suggest getting one (not necessarily ROKU, just a not relying on the Smart TV).
There was a notice recently that the oldest Samsung smart TVs would no longer work with Netflix as of December 2.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG012035...
No. of Recommendations: 1
This was before that. We've had the Smart TV a few years, and Netflix for all that time. We installed the ROKU about three or four months ago, and it was night-and-day difference. All the spinning circles with percentages disappeared from our programs (maybe in the initial load, but never interrupting the program -several times). Connection problems disappeared.

If the Smart TVs don't work after Dec 2, that's a further reason to get some streaming unit.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have Xfinity also. My X1 box can stream Netflix. It seems to work fine. I haven't used the Smart features on my Samsung TV in a while as I have a Roku.

(OT: I am on the verge of a major upgrade. I have a 65" LG OLED TV on order from Costco, a Yamaha surround-sound receiver from Costco, the latest top-end 4K-capable Roku ordered from Roku for half price on Black Friday, and a Sony 4K Blu-ray player on order from Amazon. Only the speakers will remain from my current system, 5.1 from Cambridge Soundworks. New HDMI cables all around. Plus I need to upgrade my Xfinity X1 box to handle 4K streams.)
I have come to the conclusion that the Samsung Smart TV doesn't work as well as a ROKU or similar unit. I would suggest getting one (not necessarily ROKU, just a not relying on the Smart TV).

Yes, the Samsung App was terrible, but once I used the Xfinity App, the hangs vanished... So it must be built, or loaded in the Xfinity X1 box itself, not the TV...

I hav an early AppleTV widget attached, but haven't used in ages, really needs to be a later, voice controlled one, if any.. May move it to my den.. No Roku or Firestick, so far...

Anyway, today I tried the Prime App again on the main TV box, and its all better, so maybe overnight they updated or replaced it? No idea, but now it's back working on both sets fine... So back to Mrs Mazel later this evening..

Also found a documentary on Scotch I need to check out...

Then I got lost today in Full Custom Garage on the Motor Trend channel, the Lead Sled episodes.. Ian Roussell is an amazing craftsman with sheet metal, unafraid to tackle anything, chop this, that, welding sheet metal like it was easy!

Anyway, at some point I will need an external widget if Xfinity misses an App, but I think Netflix is in there already, so, maybe I'm OK... (Lost in Space is coming)

Thanks for lookin'!

weco
There was a notice recently that the oldest Samsung smart TVs would no longer work with Netflix as of December 2.

We should be OK as I think Xfinity may have updated their Netflix App, haven't tried it, but we won't rely on the Samsung TV... Not sure how old it is, maybe newer than what they are talking about in the article..
We should be OK as I think Xfinity may have updated their Netflix App, haven't tried it, but we won't rely on the Samsung TV

Last night my wife and I watched a movie on Netflix without issue using the Xfinity X1 Netflix app in the X1 DVR (XG1v4-A) onto our HD TV. Since that was a Saturday night, presumably a busy time for Netflix, it was probably a good test for the Netflix App on the X1 DVR.
We were having troubles with the Xfinity Prime App, fine for the 1st eppisode, say of DCI Banks, but the next episode would have dropouts... Togh thing to reproduce, but we saw it most evenings. Initial fix was to drop out of Prime and come back in. Finally, Saturday I swapped my main DVR box, at the local Store, new remotes as long as I was there.. No charge, kept the older ones, just in case...

And it seems to have cured the problem. maybe a better, newer circuit board, the units were identical, so maybe just aged out...

Remotes are the new 'stealth' design, so a little learning curve to find the same buttons...

Also had to dig up how to change the timing of the PgUp & PgDn buttons, 3 X Exit, then 0030, changes it to a 30 second forward jump, 15 second back jump from the initial 5 minute jump.. Other values can be set, 0045, 0100, 0130, etc if desired.. Handy on On Demand, as some don't allow FF, but these jumps work fine...

Also, told the tech in the store about channel 1995, it will tell you if your hardware is up to date.. Mine was, but it surprised the tech, as he'd not heard of it before..

All good, so far!

weco

(we finished off DCI Banks, an interesting series..)