Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I really enjoyed Tom's article today...
though I am still quite the guppy when it comes to this biz...

I can't help but agree with Savings Plan as it seems like the time to get in is now. I shall shake the EBean money tree and perhaps do the same.

I have lingering questions though as to the technology and thoughts from the article as to sustaining both a competitive advantage and remaining top dog......

If Satellite radio continues to become more competitive with new entrants...
How does it work with the satellite technology? Can Satellites that provide services for Broadband / Cellular also provide the same for Radio or is the tech different?
If it's different now will it be different tomorrow?
If and when others want to get into the space will it be easy to ride on the coatails of the path provided by XM and Siri?

I guess my main question is that if a big part of the concern of investing in XM can be the costs the have related to the satellites they own...will that be the advantage of tomorrow's company relying on another provider of technology that they would lease and not purchase from...thus being on a shorter term plan, and having more flexible use of competing satellite technology as it is introduced by Boeing, Lockheed or whomever?

How much does ownership/maintance of the satellites hinder / help their financial structure?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.