Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
(I posted this on 'As a Foolish Question)

HI there

Dont know if this is appropriate board...

I was wondering...if I were to buy Treasury Notes/TIPS, etc from treasury direct, but then open a (for example) ScotTrade account and transfer them there how would I go about selling something like a TIPS security from my ScotTrade account

I understand there is a fee for TRADING (in my case, when I want to sell from the broker portfolio)... Anyone know if there would be a fee for the initial transfer from TreasuryDirect to the discount brokerage portfolio?

Thanks!
K
Print the post Back To Top
Call them and ask. I had their number at one time, you can find it on their website.

I do know if you sell bonds inside of treasurydirect you'll pay a fee. I paid $45 for selling 5 notes, I thought it was a little steep.
More brokers are offering free or significant discounts for trading Treasuries.

Legacy Treasury Direct charges a fee in only one circumstance. If your account holds more than $100,000, we charge an annual fee of $100.
http://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/myaccount/myaccount_lega...

jack
I dug out the folder and looked it up. It was $10,000 note that I sold inside treasurydirect in Aug 2007.

The confimation statement reads "The yield above does not include the transaction fee. FRB (Federal Reserve Bank) Chicago is acting as the Treasury's designated fiscal agent. A transaction fee of $45.00 has been subtracted from your net amount."

Maybe its changed since then. But I saw their phone number was at the bottom of the page in the link provided in the last post. You might want to call them and ask so there are no suprises.
thanks for the responses! I'll give them a call...

Thinking about building a ladder in the treasuries market... figuring out where to start
hmm... looks like you USED to be able to sell treasuries through treasurydirect, but they phased it out...

http://treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/faq/faqendselldirec...