No. of Recommendations: 0
xxdustyxx wrote:
<<I'm 27 and seriously considering converting my regular IRAs to Roths. How do I know whether the tax free withdrawal provision written into the Roth IRA Law will still be in effect in 30+ years? The regular IRA used to be tax deductible for everyone, now deductability is based on income.>>

Worse, now you can be hit with fairly punitive taxes on IRA withdrawals - and they also have rules which _force_ withdrawals, so you can make the choice between being punished for saving too much, or being punished for not withdrawing enough!

I tend to agree with those that think that in the withdrawal phase of a Roth-IRA, it's pretty unlikely that you'll be taxed, since that would be double-taxation. Against that theory, we have taxation of SSC benefits.

All of which leads me to my main assumption - that I can't assume anything about things so far in the future (I'm only 29). So my wife and I are putting $2k towards our Roth this year since income prevents us from using a regular IRA. But our rollover and SEP IRAs will continue as they are.

If things stay _exactly_ as they are for the next 60 years, we can expect to live off our non-Roth IRAs, paying taxes, while leaving a tiday tax-free sum to our heirs via the Roth. If Congress screws up the Roth, well, so be it.

[And you never know - what with all those baby boomers soon to start dipping into their IRAs, perhaps Congress will change the distribution phase of the non-Roth IRA for the better. Stranger things have happened.]

Later,
scott
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.