Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 20
Y'all remind me of my grandmother.

Nice lady, meant well, but said things like "don't worry, they are the *nice* Mormons" when describing people.

Timothy McVeigh was not a Muslim. Neither was Eric Rudolph, or Ted Kaczynski.

There's a bit of a "well see, there you go!" attitude when we hear about suspects turning out to be Muslim. "Re-affirms things we already know" kind of attitude, which I and probably others who lurk do not share. Generational, maybe, as my own father tends towards these things.

At any rate, what I am getting at is that my other grandmother used to say that politics and religion weren't topics for mixed company, and I have gotten the feeling that the TEOTWAWKI board doesn't feel there is mixed company present. But there is. Hi! Ms. Mixed Company here!

And very very often, I do not post on threads here because of subtle references to Topics Not Meant For Mixed Company, both politics and religion.

My point - yes, I have one, though it took a while to get there - is that I don't think I am the only one that shies away from posting here, or gets turned off from a post(er) that might have pertinent information, due to the mixing in of political and religious tone in posts. I know it can be a bit of a blind spot for some that the kids these days are calling "preppers", but not all who would prepare for the end of the world are politically conservative or religiously Xtian (or even religious, period).

I don't think it's intentional; that's the reason I mentioned my grandmother, as she just did not understand why what she said could be offensive. But only offer as a suggestion that, perhaps, a little more participation from different posters would be had here if fewer posts contained Topics Not Meant For Mixed Company. Because absolutely nothing turns me away from mingling at a party than the guy that can't talk about anything without interjecting his politics or his religion.

I'd like to mingle here more often, is all.

Submitted with respect,
impolite
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.