Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Last October, 2017, I bought at Costco this Yamaha SC2000i unit ($499), sat in my garage for a year, no real need, and it was half the price of the equivalent Honda unit. Looks great, well made, well packaged.

So yesterday/today, finally moved it to the side yard...

Hmmm, Good News vs Bad News...

Then got around to adding oil, gas, and fired this inverter/generator up today!

Bad News is, it won't even run the microwave in the trailer on half power! Or full power.. It does run an orbital sander OK, it's pretty quiet, started easy, but decided I don't really need it if it can't actually do something, like run the micro!

Good News: Called Costco, YES they will take it back, no problem. So I emptied the gas, boxed it up, will take it back tomorrow...

Back to looking deeper...
Print the post Back To Top
Bad News is, it won't even run the microwave in the trailer on half power! Or full power.

Note: microwaves, in general, don't really have a "half power" setting. Instead they have a "full power, but only every other second" setting. (Not sure if the time interval is really one second or not.)

Microwaves heat very little other than water; the heat needs time to spread from the water molecules into other molecules. Therefore, one minute at "half power" and 30 consecutive seconds at full power are NOT the same.
Last October, 2017, I bought at Costco this Yamaha SC2000i unit ($499), sat in my garage for a year, no real need, and it was half the price of the equivalent Honda unit. Looks great, well made, well packaged.

I saw them also and read the fine print. It's not a Yamaha product. The manufacturer buys Yamaha engines and puts them in their generators. According to the manufacturer it's not compatible with the Yamaha generators and cannot be paired. Similar Yamaha generators are EU2000is or EF2000is.

Jack
Our Yamaha 2000is generator won't run the microwave unless the RV's converter is turned off. The 1500 watt microwave when paired up with pretty much anything else of substance blows the generator's overload protection.
I saw them also and read the fine print. It's not a Yamaha product. The manufacturer buys Yamaha engines and puts them in their generators. According to the manufacturer it's not compatible with the Yamaha generators and cannot be paired. Similar Yamaha generators are EU2000is or EF2000is.

Per the manual, they can be paired, but I'm not going tp pack around two of these critters..

http://www.a-ipower.com/wp-content/pdf/SUA2000i.pdf

In any case, it looked good, ran quiet, did everything but take the load I would have used it for... The microwave! I did switch the refrigerator on, and that it handled OK, a pretty light load... I could;dn't think of any other load I'd need it for, I didn't expect it to run the A/C, not really needed, generally. I've put LEDs everywhere, run two deep cycle golf cart batteries, so I can go more than a week I bet with no problem. Water, wastewater would be a bigger problem, but when we do longer trips, er generally overnight in commercial campgrounds often, so again, less need for a generator..

So it was a gamble, and with Costco, a simple call is all it took to verify I can return it, no receipt needed, they have the sales record, so it should go well..
Our Yamaha 2000is generator won't run the microwave unless the RV's converter is turned off. The 1500 watt microwave when paired up with pretty much anything else of substance blows the generator's overload protection.

Interesting.. I have the RV converter off anyway while parked like now for storage, I use a little Battery Tender to keep the batteries up, ready...

So, the micro must just be too tough for it.. Now I wonder about the Hondas.. Or am I going to have to go to 3,000W?

More digging, one day.. We have a weekend campout at Bodega Bay's Doran Park (Northern Calif)in a couple weeks, that was to be the test, but...
Note: microwaves, in general, don't really have a "half power" setting. Instead they have a "full power, but only every other second" setting. (Not sure if the time interval is really one second or not.)

Microwaves heat very little other than water; the heat needs time to spread from the water molecules into other molecules. Therefore, one minute at "half power" and 30 consecutive seconds at full power are NOT the same.

Well, that's interesting.. So the load stays the same as far as the genset... Bummer..

It did run the refridge, but...

Thanks all...
Only took a minute to return the Yamaha, one question was why, wouldn't take the load, click, click, full amount, including tax credited to my CC... Done, Gone...

Only units they had in the store were 5 & 8 KW units, way too big, heavy to be useful to an RV'r...

Someone said there is a new Honda 3 KW, handles micro, even the A/C, but it's 129 pounds!! I don't see packing one of these around..

Another said their Honda 2 KW handles the micr OK, but it struggles, has to really work at it... Well, then up go the sound levels, too..

Need to look back in Trailer Life, and online, see if there are other options... That said, we've gone many years without one, so maybe we really don't need one!
wecoguy,

My dad has 2 of these: https://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu2200i but only ever brings one with him with his RV. Rarely will he bring the 2nd unless he's extended off grid camping like when we go hunting. It powers everything in his trailer including the AC / Heater if necessary. His trailer is newer so has a much better converter and is able to use his dual 6v batteries to do most everything. We use the generator mostly to charge the batteries (he has solar panels as well) and to get the heater running in the morning when it is cold.

For my RV, I have this generator: https://www.yamahagenerators.com/EF3000iSEB-p/ef3000iseb.htm... It is stinking heavy and came with our RV when we bought it used. It is a workhorse and fires right up no matter how bad I neglect it. I can run anything in our RV including the AC when only using the 15a plug. When I'm finished with it, I'll leave it running and turn the fuel to off so that it bleeds the fuel system out and stalls. I'll pack it away and not use it for months on end, turn it on with a little bit of choke and it fires right up. I generally only keep a quarter tank of fuel in it unless I know I'm going to be boon docking for an extended period.

I don't think that you can go wrong with either of these 2 models.

Here I Go

Per the manual, they can be paired, but I'm not going tp pack around two of these critters..

Sorry for being unclear, a Yamaha and iPower generator can't b e paired. Two Yamaha or two iPower generators can be paired.
Very nice to know the eu2200i is good on everything... I'd looked at Hondas all along, prior to seeing what seemed to be a useful Yamaha branded generator for $500! Too good to be true as it worked out...

I have a Yamaha, XT500 Thumper, motorcycle I bought new in '76, it has always fared up, even if left to sit around a year or more! One or two kicks and it's ready to hit the trails.. But, sadly it lives under a tarp in my workshop, I just wasn't riding much any more, had it at my brother's cabin in the Sierras, they worried about insurance, liability, so I just brought it home. Anyway, it's been a solid bike, someday I guess I need to sell it... Gettin' old, I guess...

Thanks, weco
OK, a local (Northern CA) hardware chain, Friedman's, had a 15% off everything weekend, so I jumped in, bought the EU2200i Honda generator. At $850+tx, I couldn't pass it up...

Almost bought the EU2800i, but in the end, even though it was the same price, it's heavier, louder, so I rolled back into the area and swapped it for the EU2200i as I had initially planned.

Haven't fired it up yet, bought 10-30 oil, a nice little funnel to help with the oil, and a bottle of fuel stabilizer to deal with the ethanol in our gas today..

Progress...