Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 9
It seems to me that the board has been quiet, so I guess I’ll opine.

Several years ago I made a post on this board about how I was going to run a marathon! And yay! And I was so excited! And when the advice I got was “slow down – don’t hurt yourself” I ignored it and promptly hurt myself and stopped running and etc. and etc. Yay! Yay… yay?

Everybody was right, and I was an idiot. If I remember correctly, I think I was trying to impress a girl.

Like I said - idiot.

Anyway – my first 5k is two weeks from Saturday, and I’ve got a running calendar (complete with races) set through February of 2014. I’m running again, and it feels good.

That is all.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Yay!

Charlie
Yay!

pcwa
No. of Recommendations: 5
Everybody was right, and I was an idiot. If I remember correctly, I think I was trying to impress a girl.

Like I said - idiot.

Hey, if you can't be an idiot when trying to impress a girl, when can you be an idiot?

discurro

p.s. yay
No. of Recommendations: 2
Yay!

Cindy
Yipee!.....I mean Yay!!
No. of Recommendations: 3
Yay!

Roses Revenge
Several years ago I made a post on this board about how I was going to run a marathon! And yay! And I was so excited! And when the advice I got was “slow down – don’t hurt yourself”

YAY indeed..

I surely hope that I was one of those "dreamstealers" ;)

You're now a bone fide o-FISH-awl member of Vivienne's "Listen to me now.....or believe me later" Club (techniques refined, lo, this past 30+ years on both my husband and my daughter.

FWIW, there's tremendous value in race distance under a marathon. Just sayin'

Vivienne.....proud non-marathon runner.
FWIW, there's tremendous value in race distance under a marathon. Just sayin'

Yeah - I'm not hung up on the marathon, though I do still want to do one. At this point I've got three 5Ks, two 10Ks, the Ragnar in October, and a half (which is the current medium-term accomplishment that I'm working toward) on the calendar between now and the end of the year. Right now I'm mostly just excited to be a part of the races and moving again - the events just give me that extra little motivation to keep moving.

Thanks for all the Yay!s
Right now I'm mostly just excited to be a part of the races and moving again - the events just give me that extra little motivation to keep moving.

Well, there you go. It is supposed to somewhat, you know.....fun

Goals are great and all that (and I say that as a goal-setting type of person myself) but the path to getting there has to be a workable project also.

I'm quite excited myself to see how you do. Just keep doing your best and your *best* will inevitably get *better*

Vivienne....you can listen to me now...etc. etc.
I looked up the old posts - you used to be in my neck of the woods (Yorktown?) - are you still down this way?
I did my grad school at William & Mary - my mom and her husband (retired Commander, btw) have lived in the Tidewater area for 30 years. I'm in New York now - moved up here for a job and met my wife, which means I'm likely not going anywhere. You know how that goes.

I am targeting the Rock 'n Roll Half in Virginia Beach as my big race this year - saw you've run it more than once. Looks like a good race. At this point I just hope it isn't 100 degrees.
I am targeting the Rock 'n Roll Half in Virginia Beach as my big race this year - saw you've run it more than once. Looks like a good race. At this point I just hope it isn't 100 degrees.

Good luck with that one!!.....the race or the temperature (your choice!)

I do believe I have the scent of a bone fide Athlete-In-Training here....

Don't forget to stop and smell the roses along the way.

Are you actually in NYC or somewhere out on one of my (many) old stamping grounds on LI (I thought you met and married someone and stayed put.....5 or 6 moves ago!)

Vivienne
Are you actually in NYC or somewhere out on one of my (many) old stamping grounds on LI (I thought you met and married someone and stayed put.....5 or 6 moves ago!)

We're in Westchester, about 15 - 20 minutes out of the Bronx. I'm starting to learn to be OK with my 30 degree morning runs in March when I know the daffodils are blooming down in Virginia, or out in Arkansas.
So, RNR half is an OK race, if you follow them on FB you can usually get a $13 discount on the 13th of any given month. LUCKY13 is the discount code.

It is pretty well run, and they've changed the layout/course so you're not running the last 2 miles with the sun pounding down you on the boardwalk - just one mile in the pounding sun. And the finish area used to be a huge bottleneck, they've improved that a lot over the years too.

It is historically a hot miserable day. There have only been two really nice years -2003 (I didn't run due to work) and 2006 (my course PR) I have run it 11 of the 12 years it's been alive, and have only gone under 2:00 three times. Last year I ran a 1:37 at Shamrock and a 2:05 at Rock and Roll. I just don't run well in the heat.

If you had the chance, get back some year for Shamrock - well run, cooler temps, better beer at the post-race party. Half usually sells out by Christmas so register early.

Cheers, Kevin
Excellent!

Nero