No. of Recommendations: 0
So... Some posts ago we were talking about a grand gathering of Fools in Southern California some time this month. The date we seemed to agree on was Friday, April 23. The place is... yet to be determined. But somehow I think there would be a lot of interest in seeing how many Fools we can get in one place at one time.

Last week's Orange County meeting brought nine Fools together. Saturday's meeting at Tia Juana's on LA's west side had, if I recall correctly, something like 12 or 14, including such Fool board legends as IFindKarma and AcesWild. CassWoman indicated that she'd travel from as far away as San Diego to enjoy the company of Fools. Perhaps, as the drumbeat for this event grows, we might have Fools flying in from all parts of the globe -- Punjab, Botswana, Kamchatka, Guam. Who knows? I might even be persuaded to make an appearance myself.

Suggestions? Expressions of interest? Sneering disdain and/or sarcasm? Post, you Foolish millions! Post!

Cheeze
Print the post Back To Top
<<<
So... Some posts ago we were talking about a grand gathering of Fools in Southern California some time this month.
>>>

By "this month," I obviously meant, "next month." April, that is. The 23rd. Clear as mud, this Dadaist literature is.

Cheeze
Perhaps, as the drumbeat for this event grows, we might have Fools flying in from all parts of the globe -- Punjab, Botswana, Kamchatka, Guam. Who knows? I might even be persuaded to make an appearance myself.

Cheeze... if you can stand to dine at the same table with me again (what is it now, twice in the last year... Ruth's Chris... yummmy... and then the "House that Bud built")... I'll be in So Cal around that time.

This invitation extend to Fools formerly from CA?

Tom
Suggestions? Expressions of interest? Sneering disdain and/or sarcasm? Post, you Foolish millions! Post!

I'm planning on being there. Are we still looking at around LAX? At the OC meeting, there was talk of moving it further south. Either would be fine.

Dawn
Hey Tom ....

If you can make it, I'll buy you a drink if you get dividends working by then.

Dawn
Hey Tom ....

If you can make it, I'll buy you a drink if you get dividends working by then.

Dawn

Looks like I'm gonna be thirsty then :-( Ain't no way we'll have dividends finished in April. Ain't gonna happen. Nope. No way. No how. Uh uh.

Tom C.
The artist formerly known as Californian
Cheeze, do you mean Friday the 23rd of April, or Saturday the 24th of April? Or has my calendar become a an abstract interpretation of what ought to be a linear progression? Jes' checkin'.

If it's Saturday, I'll be there, provided I can swing yet another weekend day off.... :)

Cassandra
I am probably up for such a gathering, but I'd rather not make it near LAX. Further south would be great, or even someplace like Pasadena. I just don't want to have to drive through the middle of LA. But skirting around the edges may be OK.

I might be able to attend something in April.
That's assuming I can afford to drive anywhere.
Gas prices will be over $2.00 a gallon by then at the rate things are going now.
<That's assuming I can afford to drive anywhere. Gas prices will be over $2.00 a gallon by then at the rate things are going now.>

Another proud SUV owner?
A get together uhhh Cheeze?
Hey I might beable to attend.
depending on the time and place.
Hemet isn't the easiest place to
get out of you know! But I'll try to make it.
Better yet... I need to get the heck out of here!

foolishgirl
still ~:o)
took racerboy's cap!

Are we considering moving the April get together a bit south for the benefit of the OC people? (They get nervous when they spend time out from behind the Orange curtain...)

If so, I'll make a somewhat selfish suggestion.
Ashoka the Great in Artesia (the part known as Little India). It's near the 605/91 interchange, the food is good (with good vegetarian options), and that area is kind neat to check out beforehand.

Ashoka The Great
18614 Pioneer Blvd
Artesia, CA 90701
(562) 809-4229

-- Tim
Hey that sounds great to me! Vegetarian is good.

I will be a bit nervous that far from my beloved orange curtain, but I can survive it with sufficient curry.
Hey that sounds great to me! Vegetarian is good.

I will be a bit nervous that far from my beloved orange curtain, but I can survive it with sufficient curry.

Of course, being gone for nearly 8 years now, what I miss most from So. Cal is In-And-Out Burger. I suppose it's a bit much to ask that anyone else be willing to slum it for my sake (since I am, as yet, an uninvited attendee [Cheeze?] ), so this isn't a formal suggestion... just a nostalgic moment brought to you by a lazy "day off".

Tom C.
I suppose it's a bit much to ask that anyone else be willing to slum it for my sake (since I am, as yet, an uninvited attendee [Cheeze?] ), so this isn't a formal suggestion... just a nostalgic moment brought to you by a lazy "day off".

Tell you what Tom, I'll swing by In-N-Out on my way there. If Cheeze doesn't invite you to join us for dinner, you can sit in the parking lot and eat your burgers.

Is "almost" joining us for dinner. Isn't it?

Dawn
>>Hey that sounds great to me! Vegetarian is good.

>Of course, being gone for nearly 8 years now, what I >miss most from So. Cal is In-And-Out Burger. I >suppose it's a bit much to ask that anyone else be >willing to slum it for my sake (since I am, as yet, >an uninvited attendee [Cheeze?] ), so this isn't a >formal suggestion... just a nostalgic moment brought >to you by a lazy "day off".

I'd be will to slum it with you, because a good dead cow beats vegetables any day! Besides, isn't it Foolish to only spend $5 on dinner, rather than go to a fancy place. :)

Anyone willing to give us insider information on TMF or IPOs is always welcome to dinner!

James
Besides, isn't it Foolish to only spend $5 on dinner,

Only if you get GOOD
Besides, isn't it Foolish to only spend $5 on dinner,

Only if you get GOOD /OOPS/

Only if you get $5.00 worth of good food. Life is to short to drink bad wine!!!
Bon Appetit!

SANO
Tell you what Tom, I'll swing by In-N-Out on my way there. If Cheeze doesn't invite you to join us for dinner, you can sit in the parking lot and eat your burgers.

Is "almost" joining us for dinner. Isn't it?

Can I park near Cheeze's car?

Tom C.
I'd be will to slum it with you, because a good dead cow beats vegetables any day! Besides, isn't it Foolish to only spend $5 on dinner, rather than go to a fancy place. :)

Anyone willing to give us insider information on TMF or IPOs is always welcome to dinner!

Point of fact, I couldn't tell you TMF's zip code without looking at my business cards :-) Trust me, no matter how good the food, beverages or company, there's no good information I have to offer.

The only IPO I even paid attention to in advance was the eMeringue IPO, and we all know how that turned out.

Tom C.
HarpFool: Ashoka the Great in Artesia (the part known as Little India). It's near the 605/91 interchange, the food is good (with good vegetarian options), and that area is kind neat to check out beforehand.

For a Friday night soire, 605/91 vicinity by far preferable to "all the way in to LAX!!..."

And an added observation... the message is (with good vegie options!)... everyone seems to be hammering down on that's all that is available... sounds like Ashoka could a quite good suggestion...

My old battle cries:
1. Round tables available?
[As opposed to very long rectangular that completely restricts your conversation to only the four or five that sit just close to you.]; and

2. Noise level?
Mostly high? Or table conversation highly possible?

Party on, Garth!
>Only if you get $5.00 worth of good food. Life is to >short to drink bad wine!!!

Not all of us are so fortunately as to own 50 stocks, and hobnob with top Dell executives. :)

James
BrerBear:
the message is (with good vegie options!)

You are correct in assuming that they also have meat dishes (chicken and lamb, sorry no beef). I was trying to be accomodating for others who might have different dietary requirements than I do - pretty impressive considering how self-centered I usually am...

If we ended up at Ashoka, I would order either a lamb dish (korma or vindaloo) or the "Ashoka the Great" special - which has a smattering of several different things.

Oops! They lose points here. It's rectangular tables in the middle and 4-person booths down one side. There may be one larger booth in the front corner. (Sorry for being uncertain - I've only gone there in groups of 2 - 4 and have always sat at a booth.)

2. Noise level?

It's a family restaurant, no bar. (Though they do serve beer & wine(?)) If we go there, I'm pretty sure we'll be the source of most of the noise. So, yes, conversation is quite doable.

Quality-wise, I think it gets a 7. (Nawab in Santa Monica gets a 9, but it's twice as expensive...) The worst I can say is that we've gotten samosas that were cold in the center and had to send them back to be heated some more.

Price-wise, it's definitely cheaper than Darya (but more expensive than In'n'Out). For example, if I get the Ashoka special (which includes a little Basmati rice and some naan) and have hot Indian tea as my beverage, I think it would be about $11.50 + tax/tip. Back when I was in a relationship, my SO's chicken tikka masala, naan, rice and tea would be a bit more, but she also took home lunch for the next day.

Hope that helps,

-- Tim
So is this shindig Friday night or Saturday night? Just call me confused. I, for one, would prefer Saturday as anywhere in the LA area on a Friday night has traffic problems and I would definitely not want to be coming from either OC or SanDiego on a Friday.(That won't affect me, but would be a consideration for others). Just my .02. Also Ashoka sounds great to me-love that Indian food!
In & Out Burger... the only fast food restaurant that actually makes fresh burgers and fries from real food sources - at least it seems that way. Family owned/operated, and always good...

Can you tell this is almost my lunch break?!?

Jet

RogueJet rhapsodizes:
In & Out Burger... the only fast food restaurant that actually makes fresh burgers and fries from real food sources - at least it seems that way. Family owned/operated, and always good...

Yeah, good burgers and shakes. I'm not too hot on their fries, though. I prefer McDonalds fries - or steak fries. Also, my perception is that I&O is a touch noisy.

So what is the date? And are there any more contenders for location? (BTW, which In & Out is being suggested?)

-- Tim
Yeah, good burgers and shakes. I'm not too hot on their fries, though. I prefer McDonalds fries - or steak fries. Also, my perception is that I&O is a touch noisy.

So what is the date? And are there any more contenders for location? (BTW, which In & Out is being suggested?)

Ok... as the offical Starter-Of-The-In-And-Out-Thread... I should note that this is not where I'd like to have the OC/LA dinner. It was just a bit of nostalgia. The dinner should be somewhere nicer, imho.

Uninvited by the Cheeze,
Tom C.
<<<
Cheeze... if you can stand to dine at the same table with me again (what is it now, twice in the last
year... Ruth's Chris... yummmy... and then the "House that Bud built")... I'll be in So Cal around
that time.

This invitation extend to Fools formerly from CA?
>>>

Hey Tom...

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Whatta week it's been. Don't ask, you don't wanna know...

I'm sure that most SoCal Fools would be highly willing to tolerate your presence, so let me give you a hearty invite to this soiree. I hope the place we choose is a bit less expensive than Ruth's though...

See you there...

Cheeze
dawnc wrote:
<<<
I'm planning on being there. Are we still looking at around LAX? At the OC meeting, there was talk
of moving it further south. Either would be fine.
>>>

Of course there was talk at the OC meeting of moving it South. South of LAX is OC!

I do hope we manage to keep this meeting centrally located so that the maximum number of people can attend...

Cheeze
CassWoman writes:
<<<
Cheeze, do you mean Friday the 23rd of April, or Saturday the 24th of April? Or has my calendar
become a an abstract interpretation of what ought to be a linear progression? Jes' checkin'.
>>>

Saturday works just as well for me as Friday does, and we'd probably be able to avoid a lot of Friday traffic if we moved to Saturday. I vote for the 24th then, if there is no broad objection.

Cheeze
BrerBear suggests:
<<<
My old battle cries:
[As opposed to very long rectangular that completely restricts your conversation to only the four or
five that sit just close to you.]; and

2. Noise level?
Mostly high? Or table conversation highly possible?
>>>

Good points, both. Also, remember that whatever place we choose should be able to accommodate 20 people in one party... I don't know if that's too many to hope for for this event, but it's within reason, yes?

Cheeze
RogueJet posts:
<<<
In & Out Burger... the only fast food restaurant that actually makes fresh burgers and fries from real
food sources - at least it seems that way. Family owned/operated, and always good...
>>>

Yes... I only wish they were a public company... I'd certainly be looking to buy shares...

Cheeze
Sargon sez:
<<<
Uninvited by the Cheeze,
Tom C.
>>>

Yeah, like I could stop you from coming if I wanted to.

Cheeze ;-)

Sargon sez:
<<<
Uninvited by the Cheeze,
Tom C.
>>>

To which Cheeze added...

Yeah, like I could stop you from coming if I wanted to.

Well, first you don't invite me... then you change the date on me. But no! I will not be daunted. Well, I might be daunted, but it's gonna take more than this to really daunt me. I'm not, like, undauntable or anything, but it takes more than a little slight from Cheeze to commence the daunting.

Not much, though.
Tom
I think I will try to committ myself to coming to the S. Cal. confab- how about somewhere near Cerritos? Isn't that pretty darn close to the LA/OC line?

irisand
who likes suggesting places she knows how to get to :)