Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Yea, I'm not doing as well with the cooking from scratch with a 10 month old son who isn't sleeping through the night.

Give him some avocado!

Seriously, avocado is a *great* early food for babies. It's relatively low (going from memory here) on any allergy list. It is so calorie dense that it is quite filling and if you look at its nutrient analysis (and yes, I did see what you said in your post) it's just jammed packed with goodness.

I had my doubts about it, at first. I feared that doing as I had with other foods would make it nasty. See, I'd make a batch of whatever and then pack it into an icecube tray, freeze it and pop those cubes into a Ziploc bag. Turned out that avo handled that very well indeed! Avo was and remains to this day one of HRH's very favorite foods. She's such an avo hound (she's 9.5+ now) that if I plan on something for them, I need to put a label on them that says "please do not eat, having for guacamole xxx night" or something similar (sometimes just "ask mommy first").

Oh, also... try millet! GREAT baby grain. You can use it much like rice OR you can pulverize it in the blender and use it as a flour but don't plan on making any kind of bread with it 'cuz it has no gluten. Anyway, it's high in protein compared to most grains.

My biggest learning experience with HRH as a baby was "dinner needs to be high calorie, nutrient dense". Nights that the kidlet had green veggies or whatever rabbit food? Oh yeah, come mid-night or 2am (whenever I was bound to be most sound asleep) *kabam* she was yelling for food.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.