Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Yea on write up Sarah!!

Ulta is indeed interesting, so now you've got me wanting to dive in further there as well. I know a lot of ladies that are seeking them out more as a store these days...just for what you mentioned, the occasional everyday (e.g. Mabelline) product, a ceramic straighter (there is a top brand everyone seems to want that is $$$, but i am forgetting the name) + Bare, etc.

The one thing I find with Sephora, and I wonder if it's happening with ladies that shop Ulta, is that I always spend more than I plan there, so I have to be careful...which looked at another way can be great for shareholders...how was your experience at Ulta with regard to this? does it tempt the customer to add on? esp. maybe with the salon?

I know someone asked in this comment thread about competition for these types of stores, and just guessing, I would think it would take significant time to lock in the suppliers of the brands, etc.

Do you see Bed Bath & Beyond at all as competition for Ulta? Maybe not because they have a salon as also sell some premium products...but regarding price points and convience I am often surprised what I find at BBBY for the regular L'oreal, and other brands. Also, have you noticed CVS is now selling more and more premium salon/skin care products, as is Bath & Body Works (e.g. C.O.Bigelow from NYC, which I thought was a brilliant move on their part)...any whoo, I can get totally in the weeds by thinking about this all, and not looking for the real fruit!

Thanks for highlighting Ulta and for your writing as always!

E

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.