Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Yeah, I can`t believe Ontario voted for a Ford brother. I thought we were smarter than that.

I found stuff posted on FB that talked about some of his proposals. All were against federal law or out of the provincial government`s responsibility. You would think we would know better than to elect buffons - another import from the south.

Argh!

Well, Doug Ford is not an import from the south -- he's home-grown (but, I'm not sure whether we should be comforted by that fact ;-).

I'm not surprised that you saw a pile of proposals that are either ill-conceived or outside of the provincial field of competence. That is an unfortunate characteristic of politicians' platforms everywhere. During an election they promise the sun and the moon, then when they actually win reality will kick in. As a citizen, I am always hopeful that the nuttiest parts of a platform will be conveniently forgotten rather than a government stubbornly adhering to the ill-advised elements.

With Ford, I am taking the same approach as I did with Trudeau. Let's give him a year or so before passing judgement. The result could be as bad as many of us suspect, or we may be pleasantly surprised. But, we will not know for certain until he actually does something (It's not about the person, right? It's about what they actually do or don't do.).

Irrespective of whether the PCs won or the NDP, I have been anticipating some level of chaos during the first year of a new government. With Wynne/McGuinty having been in government for 15 years, there's nobody left from the PCs or the NDP who has ever been part of a Cabinet and I doubt that there are many advisors who worked with the Eaves/Harris or Rae governments. That kind of transition from an experienced cabinet with experienced advisors to a bunch of inexperienced greenhorns can result in some degree of Keystone Kops as few will truly understand the mandate and limits of a cabinet minister (the Clark government of 1979 suffered from a bit of that). Hopefully the Ford team will be smart and hire a few of the Ontario Harper advisors to help them get organized.

Anyway, the near wipe-out of the liberals was a bit more of a statement than I had anticipated. The next four years should be interesting, to say the least!

SJ
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.