Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Yeah, not to mention risking breaking the law.

Actually, I'd like to hear from someone who can speak to this. We've had a lot of discussions around our office over what the unemployment laws really say, due to our own layoff last fall.

There has been a lot of talk about a 90 day limit between layoffs. After more discussion, it sounds like you can indeed lay people off more often, but if you do, the severence packages that must be offered are fairly hefty. It also sounds like it is a state law, not a federal, but no one is really sure.

All I do know is that we did happen to wait for the 90 days to pass, and that the other shoe may drop any time. But I am still curious about what the laws actually say. My limited research has gone nowhere.

Lawyers? Any info?

--WP
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.