Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Yeh, I wondered if I was being clear enough.Let me try again.
CGT on shares held over 12 months is taxed at marginal tax rate divided by 2 or it is indexed, take your pick.
CGT on shares held less than 12 months is taxed at marginal tax rate non-indexed.
Assume $2000 CG on shares ABC held 2 years and $2000 CG on shares XYZ held 2 months. Capital loss of $2000 on shares MNO held 6 months.
Offsetting the loss against XYZ means paying less tax than offsetting the loss against ABC.
The question is "Can I nominate to have the loss on MNO offset against the gain on XYZ?"
Feel free to correct any errors of interpretation I have made. This is probably a question for a CPA.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.