Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm fixing to make some changes and update my ad in the Yellow Pages. Much of my business comes from that listing, but I have a few questions.

1. Does a bigger ad increase business?

2. Is the business generated enough to justify the higher costs of the ad?

Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
1. Does a bigger ad increase business?

It depends on what your competition is doing. If you are already bigger than what your competitors do, then I say "no." If your section is cluttered then you may have to alter your shape or go bigger to get noticed. Also, color is sometimes cheaper than going bigger and you will get noticed better with that. I like the ads that are white on the yellow paper. Try to avoid over using reverse (white on black) and over using all caps. Non-caps are easier to read.

2. Is the business generated enough to justify the higher costs of the ad?

That can only be determined by tracking where your sales come from. Do you ask anyone how they heard about you?

Again, it goes back to competition. If there are only a dozen or so places that do what you do, then it's not hard for someone to call the whole list regardless of ad size.

Keep in mind, that it is the yellow pages sales rep's job to get to go bigger. They will not recommend changing shape in an ad or ways to save you money unless you are spending more overall. Some company's train in extremely high pressure techniques in this too.

Fred

No. of Recommendations: 1
I don't have the biggest ad, but I do use color on a white background. I'll probably continue with this. My customers tell me that I have the best looking ad which is why they call.

I'm not overly concerned about grabbing market share. These are often pyrrhic victories. Profitability matters more to me. If I can ejoy better margins than my competitors, then I'm happy.

Charlie