Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 65
Yes, a typical Leftist/Pacifist/Anti-Gun observation, but everyone is entitled to their opinion!!!

I don't see how it is "leftist/pacifist/anti-gun" in any respect, rather I see your comment as reactionary and knee-jerk, if anything.

It's a simple fact that (depending on the survey) between 35% and 50% of American homes have a gun inside. People breaking in obvious don't care about that and aren't afraid of it, or they wouldn't be breaking in to homes in the first place. One of the most valuable things in a home, from a B&E point of view, would be a gun. High value, easy to transport. Surely a lot better than trying to hoist a 55" flatscreen out the door. So the point is - why advertise? You're surely a lot better off simply making the house harder to get into in the first place, rather than put up a sign saying "Hey! Valuable stuff inside! Easy to carry! Great secondary market! Come and get it! Easy cash!"

I strongly suspect that GoofyHoofy has an anti-gun persuasion, from another board post, that I challenged him on (and didn't receive a reply)

I visit over 30 boards. As such I don't see every post directed at me, but when I don't reply you can be sure it's not because I'm afraid not to. That said, I'm not "anti-gun." I'm "anti-gun nuts", which is to say, I believe (nearly) everyone should be allowed to own a gun, but I also believe they are dangerous and therefore should be regulated in the same way we regulate other dangerous products. We license car drivers and require them to take a safety exam. We don't let any Tom, Dick, or Harry buy dynamite, and we especially dont let the mentally unstable waltz into the dynamite store and scoop up a box-full.

As for the Constitutional issue, we regulate free speech (libel, copyright, slander) and we regulate religion (no two wives, beating children) and we regulate many of the other things granted in the Constitution; I find no compelling reason why we have such few (and getting fewer) restrictions on guns, except for the current make-up of the USSC. Further, I find the first words of the Second Amendment to be compelling, not invisible.

So your guess that I am "anti gun" is incorrect. I am fully in favor of people's right to bear arms - but with reasonable and appropriate safeguards, the same as any other right. They all come with "responsibilities", something the NRA seems to disagree with.

Clear enough? Happy?
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.