No. of Recommendations: 0
Yes, absolutely.

You can also invest in corporations such as Kinder Morgan (KMR) and Enbridge (EEQ). In simple terms, KMR is a corporation version of KMP, which is perhaps the largest MLP in the US. KMR's tax treatment is different than KMP's but what's "under the hood" is basically the same.

You'll need to take note of Unrelated Business Tax Income for MLPs (not corporations). I'm not a tax professional, so will not give the best advice, but in short, income you receive from MLP's in Roth IRA may be subject to tax -- yes, even inside IRA! Threshold is $1000, i.e. up to $1000 income is not taxed. Read more here:

A few links as to KMR vs KMP:

Hope this will help.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.