Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Yes, as your figures show, the unemployed with no other income can find the 401K useful to fund minimal expenses without paying serious taxes.

Similarly those over 59-1/2 who are unemployed and have no other income can find penalty free distributions get their money out of the IRA at the lowest tax rate they will ever pay. But better can be to do a Roth conversion instead--to make best use of that very low tax rate. Over 65 can be a bit better due to additional exemption--assuming Soc Sec is not taxable.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.