Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
“Yes, assuming you have a secure internet connection, computer(s) that don’t crash due to lightning, can afford to buy a new computer system every few years, etc., etc. and finally ain’t a stubborn old cuss like me.”

I'm not that worried about the internet connection. I secure it the best I can. If you are worried about hackers, I'm more worried about mailbox thieves and all the hands a check goes through when you mail a bill. Just don't pay bills during a lightning storm and unplug when not in use. Until recently, I was paying my bills online using a 12 year old desktop computer. As for being an old cuss, maybe enough late payment penalty fees will cure that.

Axe-u-lee, since Hurricane Katrina we have gone mostly wireless. We rode out the storm at the house and, of course, lost power before 0600 hrs. DW had a cell phone and we had a landline for the house. The cell tower was down but the landline worked, but only for local calls. For a couple of days DW tried to call #3 daughter in Ohio but only got an odd sound when she dialed out of area. Finally she remembered that the sound meant “line/system overload” from her days an operator, so she got up and got her call through at 0220 hours on the third morning after the storm passed. A day or two later, we lost that when the DOT cleared the “highway”. We evacuated and DW’s cell phone was useless until we got through Memphis.
;-)

We haven’t paid a late fee in years. 4 or 3 years ago, I noticed a late fee on the bill for DW’s C.C. I checked my computer (wrote a routine in Lotus 123 to keep track of my checks) and found I had written and mailed a check for the prior month’s bill. DW called the company, explained the situation and the fee was waved, same as with the recent AT&T bill. Problem is that it is a pain in the butt (POB?). Since the house is 1.25 miles off the main road in a subdivision with only one entrance/exit by road, I’m not too worried about porch/mailbox thieves, no.

A couple of years ago, I noticed a lot of police action on the road in front of the house, a helicopter flying around, etc. There was a sheriff’s car parked in our south driveway, so I went up and talked with the deputy. Seems that there was a burglary in the farm house about a half mile west of us and they were looking for the suspect(s). I was told to call 911 if we saw any suspicious person around the house. I was tempted to axe him if I could strap on one of my .44s, load up the 12-gauge pump with 00 buck (usually keeps a load of rubber buckshot in the chamber with only one “blue whistler” in the magazine for uninvited guests) and help them search for the turkey but decided he would probably decline my kind offer.
;-)

We had wireless internet from AT&T mobility and Verizon both up to a couple of years ago. The AT&T had a 20 gig data limit & Verizon had a 10 gig data limit. When the battery on the Verizon “jetpak” died, we dropped Verizon’s access. With the pandemic, 20 gig isn’t enough so I went to the AT&T store recently to increase it to 35 gig. I liked to have both so that when there was a problem with AT&T I could use Verizon.

Or you could buy a tablet for less than $100 that will allow you to access the internet and save all those stamps. You may be drawn kicking and screaming into this century.

Axe-u-lee DW has a tablet, I-phone and an old Mac that she no longer uses, her. Between the I-phone and the tablet, the last few moons we would run over our 20 gig data limit the last 4 or 3 days of the month.
;-)

C.J.V. - old cuss that likes to keep paper copies of stuff since I own stock in IP, me
;-)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.