No. of Recommendations: 0
Yes, he can contribute the maximum to his Roth IRA as well as the maximum to his 401K through his employer. It would not affect the maximum contribution to the 401k.

If you exceed the joint filing income limit of $150-160k, you will not be able to make contributions to a Roth IRA. Between $150k and $160k there is a phase out range... less than $150k you can make a full contribution, and within that range the allowable contribution is reduced until you cannot contribute anything to the Roth IRA when your (combined) income exceeds $160k. For more details, see "All About IRAs" here at TMF:

(this link goes specifically to info about contributions and income limitations, but it's easy to get to other IRA info from there)
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.