Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
 
No. of Recommendations: 0

Yes I do want the Government to collect money and disperse it where needed.  I am living in a civilized society not the days of the early frontier.   I want roads, bridges, dams, parks, street lights, waste collection facilities, sewer system, police department, fire departement, emergency services, national guard, military force,schools etc.

It takes money for these things.  Money which is collected in many ways.  It always ticked me off when I hear the kudlowites only harp on who pays the most income taxes.  Except the federal budget only derived 47.4% of its total income from income taxes. 

Where did the rest come from?   35.6% from payroll taxes (the bulk paid by the average Joes), 7.9% from corporations which is passed off back to the customers, again the bulk of the average Joes, 8.8% from custom, duties, excise misc taxes, again the bulk paid for by the average Joe, and .3% from estate and gift taxes which I suspect the bulk is paid for by the rich.

So the rich pay the bulk of 47.7% and conveniently fail to acknowledge that the rest of the country pays for the bulk of 52.3% of federal income, which comes from that "47%" of the people.

And now that they were given a major tax break over the last 12 years (including under Obama) and having accumulated massive wealth while the middle class actually shrank from 61% to 51%, 1/5 in NYC are living in poverty and 40% of the rest of the country now is they want more.  See these charts:

 http://www.businessinsider.com/what-wall-street-protesters-are-so-angry-about-2011-10

And so the Kudlowites want to go after entitlements while still demanding to keep those tax advantages.  And who are these entitlements for: your average Joe.  Thank you Sir may I have another!

I paid into ss and medicaire and now when I am getting closer and closer to collecting they want to change the terms on me. While I do acknowledge that medicaire needs help, but that is more the result of spiraling costs.  But you can't keep asking the average Joe to always take the hit only.

Those Bush tax cuts never did what you hear the Kudlowites argue, create jobs and increase revenues.  It didn't.  And had we kept the Clinton tax brackets we wouldn't be facing the large budget deficits we did annually for over a decade which accumulated into higher debt.

I listed in #4 several examples of people who are in that 47% NOT out of choice. 

What I want is term limits on Congress.  I want campaign contribution limitations.  I want an end of those pacs.  Drastic limitations on lobbying.  I want a return to a higher progression of income taxes on people making $1 million and more. I want harsher estate tax schedules.  I want a limitation on new government hirings (lose a person to attrition then can replace, or do a 2 for 1 arangement). 

I can go on and on but I need to get off the soap box now.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.