Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Yes, I think you are correct. A bond selling at a premium over par can be called out from under you at a loss. Hence people tend to avoid them.

I have just been through this with my yield stocks list, mostly trust preferred stocks, ie bonds listed on major exchanges and traded as preferred stocks.

The bond market was traumatized during the meltdown last fall, and there was a flight to quality, especially to treasuries. Bond prices fell sharply. They have been recovering gradually. But I notice at this point that most of the A and higher bonds are close to par. Many lesser issues continue to have not only higher yield, but also potential for nice capital gains when they are called.

So it seems the discount is an additional incentive to take more risk in the current market. But gee, who buys junk bonds in mid recession? Hang on for dear life if you have them, but diversification sure is nice. I wouldn't load up on these things.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.