Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Yes it is a bit off-topic I guess.

But I don't spend any time on the political boards. I also thought it would end up flame-bait on a political board and that wasn't my intent. While this audience is small, it's well-focused, well-mannered and respected by yours truly. Post this same poll on Twitter for instance, and you're likely to end up blocking a few dozen Twittizens.

At the risk of remaining off-topic, Bloomberg published an interesting read today that speaks to the issue:

"The Pandemic Has Made Industrial Policy Palatable to Republicans"
https://news.bloombergtax.com/daily-tax-report/the-pandemic-...

Republicans who just a few years ago regularly scorned any idea of Big Government’s intervening in business and picking “winners and losers” are now happily calling for a national strategy to identify key sectors to protect and promote. In both Congress and the White House they’re discussing tax incentives and other ways to spur businesses to bring manufacturing home from China. Progressives, centrists, and right-wing economic nationalists alike are threatening government strictures on a corporate America that’s spent decades building sprawling “just in time” supply chains around the world in the name of economic efficiency and expansion into new markets.

And of course, Democrats are already more inclined to tinker through direct government intervention.

Will anything actually happen though? The final paragraph kind of sums it up:

In the middle of a pandemic and an epochal economic crisis—both coinciding with a presidential election—everyone can agree there’s a problem and a need for a new American industrial policy. But most of the calls now are long on platitudes and short on specific policy pronouncements. What that policy looks like—what’s really needed—will be much harder to work out.

I really hope there's some substantive debate of our industrial policy and Chinese foreign policy in the upcoming election cycle that amounts to more than just sabre rattling.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.