Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Yes, it is flawed. If you convert the Traditional IRA contributions to a Roth IRA, the contribution is not deductible and the conversion is not reported. In other words, it appears on your Federal return exactly as if you made the contribution directly to the Roth IRA. See the instructions for Form 1040, line 15 and Form 8606.

Thank you. This would be deemed a recharacterization then? I figured this was too easy to work.

I have skimmed through the instructions and my understanding is sort of vague. Is it possible to accomplish something similar to what I want through a rollover of IRA assets from previous years' contributions (she has a stockpile of old Traditional IRA contributions and 403(b) contributions that could be used) or would those be deemed to be simply recharacterizations also?

I hope that is clear...

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.