Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Yes it will never be like last year lockdowns again. Vaccines have changed the risk equation for people who are cautious (like me) and anyway its politically a non-starter in red and blue communities alike.

Masked schools have been working out pretty darn well. We get weekly reports from schools on cases found during random testing. It went like 3,1,3,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,Halloween,5. So we will see if this is a blip or an outbreak. Our schools are doing what I think of as 'dry runs' of Zoom classes this Friday after the holiday and Mon/Tues before Thanksgiving. I am thinking they may do that the first week 'back' after winter break to let any holiday-caught virus to burn out before they hopefully resume in-person in earnest.

My herd is pretty well vaccinated but I know there are holdouts and Biden's federal/contractor mandate is having an effect. My office just got notice and I know that has influenced some laggards to get vaccinated. 8/10 of my 5-11 year old kid playmates got first shots last week, (3% of 5-11 nationwide). So maybe we'll have an 80% vaccinated bubble, which means I know there are plenty of mini-herds with very little protection so they will continue to be vulnerable.

All Pfizer-vaccinated adults will soon be eligible for their 3rd shot. Hopefully that completes the series but it may be an annual booster. If it is taken up well, boosters will help the national situation. My twitter feed seems to have a lot of vaccinated people who tried to do something normal and contracted breakthrough cases.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.