No. of Recommendations: 7
Yes Microsoft is moving away from Skype and integrating video into Teams. Teams was created as a response to Slack. That's how much Microsoft is concerned by Slack.

Team is absolutely terrible.

Skype is terrible too.

Combining them won't make either better.

I really think we're in the middle of the narrative changing from "big companies crushing competition to "little companies chipping away and taking down the titans.

We saw it happen with CPG brands, Beer, Cable companies, Retail, and I think with SaaS growing in popularity, APIs making integrations easier, and broader compatibility allowing people to mix and match we're going to see these brands that are built from the ground up to focus on one enterprise paint point (and seamlessly work with all the other apps businesses use) start to cause some pain to the titans.

I thnk Microsoft is feeling it already. Not with Azure (their cloud platform) but with their enterprise software. Every single one of their enterprise products is middle of the road at best. They had a HUGE advantage from their massive installed customer base that was locked in.

That's going away.

Skype - bad
Outlook - bad
Explorer - bad
Teams - bad
Power BI - never used but I know it's capability is relatively limited.
PPT, Word, Excel, etc are becoming less popular.

So again. We've seen a few examples from our companies already (TWLO/MDB/TTD/ even SHOP) where people got scared a big bully was going to crush them.

I may start looking at those big bullies as more of an opportunity for our companies to win customers from.

Happy Easter or Sunday to all of you.

What an amazing time to be an investor. Love this board
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.